Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

640-504 Switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlimit

Technical User
Jun 13, 2003
GB
Can any one confirm if the actual switching exam question set are similar in difficulty and format as the example tests which come with the Cisco Press Switching Exam Cert Guide.

Thanks,

Well, I can't confirm the material in the book, since I don't have the cert library, but the other 4 book set.

I'll give you some clues for the switching exam:

The exam you want to register for and take is 640-604
(CCNP Switching).

The passing score is 776, you will get approximately 58
questions (I scored 877).

The exam is heavy duty into IGMP/CGMP/Multicasting/MLS/
and product selection and placement in the 3 layer cisco
network model (core, distribution, and access).

The exam has a few gimmies (cabling, etc), but is a fair exam. Other questions you might see are HSRP, STP/VLAN's,
Trunking (including VTP), and you should know how to convert a Multicast MAC address into a Multicast IP address.

In addition, make sure you KNOW the differences between set based and IOS based switches (testable models could be 19xx/28xx/29xx/35xx/4xxx/5xxx/6xxx/7xxx/8xxx).

Good Luck

Here is a list of switches and cofig modes i.e Set based or IOS, and where they are designed to be placed. It should be a good guide.

1200 SET Access Layer
1700 Menu
1900 IOS (Menu) Access Layer
2820 IOS (Menu) Access Layer
2900XL IOS (Menu) Access Layer
2901 SET Access Layer
2950 IOS Access Layer
2926G SET Distribution
3000 MENU Access Layer
3500XL IOS Access Layer
3550 IOS Access Layer
3920 MENU Access Layer
4000 SET Access Layer
4840G IOS
5000/5500 SET Access/Distribution/Core
6000/6500 SET Distribution/Core
8510 SET
8540 IOS Core

Cheers

Ste

Hi Ste1, just to clarify one thing over your list about the switches and config modes: Is really the 6000/65000 family a set based one? I'm preparing myself for the exam and used native Cisco IOS (CLI) to configure the 6000/65000 switches over the labs. Can yuu pls clear this out?

The Supervisor on a 6500 runs CatOS which is set based. The MSFC in a 6509 runs IOS.

Cheers

Ste

Thank you for all your help.

The exam seemed to included a lot of command related questions. The 3500XL came up a lot.

you do need to know your product info and switch type either IOS or SET based also watch out for enhanced spanning tree questions. eg calculating backbone fast - With 4 switches with only mac address and port cost to go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back