Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

64-Bit VFP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael42

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
Hello,

Is there a 64-bit version of Visual Foxpro available?

If not, is there an OCI driver for Foxpro to connect to modern Oracle databases?

Thanks,

Michael42

Well,

there is no 64bit version from MS and there is no support for OCI in VFP.
You should look out for a 32bit ODBC driver. As far as I can see (without testing and without having an oracle db at hand) the odbc drivers you can get are including 32bit versions.

Bye, Olaf.

There are supposed to be some 3rd party versions of VFP out there but I haven't tried them.

I think the term "Holy <explitive deleted>" is more appropriate. That is really amazing...
Has anyone tried it? It is a full compiler for VFP, which I would think means, no need for runtime DLLs?

Best Regards,
Scott
ATS, CDCE, CTIA, CTDC

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, and no simpler."[hammer]

Yes it looks interesting. If this catches on and gets support could be a game changer.

Thanks,

Michael42

I played around with it a little and the fixes inside it (he calls it VFP 10) is inherited to the exes/apps you build with it. The only thing Ihat concerns me somewhat is the legal aspect of using it...

Sorry to take a negative stand on this, but I am not about to trust my clients' applications to a tool written by an anonymous developer, from an unknown country, who clearly lacks the simplest of marketing skills, and who - as Dr D so rightly says - might be skirting the fringes of legality.

I am not commenting on the technical quality of the product. He might well be a brilliant developer. But would you buy a critical tool from someone who won't even put his name on his website?

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I am leaving open the possibility that this could turn into something cool. Yes there are changes that need to happen before we all jump in but nice to know there is some new FP development going on.

If we and others support him who knows where this could go.

Thanks,

Michael42

Well, MS has been supportive of community development of the product since they killed it at least, and at best, they don't care at all.

BTW China is not an unknown country... And there are many brilliant minds there. If you go to the home page (and you read Chinese) there is a lot of information about the who.

Legally... MS abandoned us in my view. The legality is the least of my concern. Look at FoxIn Cloud... not really any different.

Best Regards,
Scott
ATS, CDCE, CTIA, CTDC

Well, he's name is Chen

Well, you know that. And now that you have told us, the rest of this forum knows that. But it misses my point. He is anonymous because he does not publicly put his name to his product. He hides behind an anonymous email address. It doesn't inspire confidence.

China is not an unknown country

It is unknown in the sense that anyone coming across his product would not know which country he is from. That's important, because it will affect the legal and contractual situation between the developer and his customers.

MS abandoned us in my view. The legality is the least of my concern. Look at FoxIn Cloud... not really any different.

Yes, I've been thinking about that. And the more I think about it, the more I think that there could be a problem. It is not at all the same as FoxInCloud because FoxInCloud makes no claims to actually be FoxPro. It is clearly a distinct product, albeit one that aims to be compatible in many ways with the original. By contrast, the product under discussion actually claism to be a new version of FoxPro. It is even named FoxPro 10. Clearly, he is leaving himself open to a passing-off action, at the very least.

And let's not think for one minute that Microsoft wouldn't bother with such an action. Microsoft have definitely not "legally abandoned" their product. As with all large American corporations, they employ highly-paid lawyers whose job it is to go after anyone - anywhere in the world - that they can build a case against.

I stress that I am not criticising this product on its technical merits. I am simply saying that I wouldn't risk my business or my professional reputation on a tool with such a dodgy basis.

Mike

Mike,
I suggest you study law a bit closer if you think "FoxInCloud makes no claims to actually be FoxPro". It doesn't have to make any such claim to be violating the same legal issue. In my view VFP 10 is at least a bit more honest... they aren't trying to shield it. FiC, really, from legal standpoint, SAME THING.

And your comment about China is just misinformed. Don't buy into the propaganda. If this was from England would you feel different? Or Canada? Or USA? Or Japan?

Best Regards,
Scott
ATS, CDCE, CTIA, CTDC

Scott,

Read my post. I never made any comment - positive or negative - aobut China. My post doesn't mention China. My point was that, before doing business with anyone - a person or a company - you need to know which country he is in - for obvious legal and contractual reasons. The fact that the country in question happens to be China is completely irrelevant.

The only information I have about this product is what I read on the page that Mike Gagnon linked to. That page contains no contact information of any kind, no information to identify the author, and no links to any other page that might contain that information. That's why I described it as anonymous and from an unknown country.

Mike

Mike,

I just rang up the link tree to find more details...

Company Name: Shenzhen Yu Jia Software Technologies Ltd.
Address: Luohu District, Shenzhen Baoan Road, Taoyuan Commercial Building, third floor
Tel: 0755-83111248
Fax: 0755-83106052
Email: ccb2000@163.com

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are not good for you.

ran not rang B-(

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are not good for you.

Thanks, Griff. That's helpful. But I still don't feel it inspires confidence.

ran not rang

Did you know that you can now edit your Tek Tips posts? There's a new button for this in the bottom right corner of the post. It's available for a certain number of hours after you save the post (can't remember how many).

Mike

If he wrote a 64bit VFPOLEDB driver I would give it a try.
The 32 bit VFPOLEDB is getting a bit long in the tooth.

I know about the edit, but I forgot about it B-)

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back