Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

64 bit Fedora on a PII

Status
Not open for further replies.

xwb

Programmer
Jul 11, 2002
GB
Is it possible to install 64-bit Fedora on a PII? I've got an 450MHz PII with 256Mb memory and I want to try out 64-bit Fedora. If I can port my applications over to it, then I'll redo one of the better spec machines. I don't want to mess up one of the better spec machines until I'm sure the app will work.

Is it possible to install 64-bit Fedora on a PII?
one word NO, reason as per Larry's answer...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Does that mean I need something that is capable of running 64 bit, even if I go through VMWare or Virtual PC?

Wonder if there are any 64 bit emulators about. Alternatively, I could check all the processors: quite sure one of the old ones is an AMD Athlon.

For conversation's sake, let's allow for the possible existence of a 64-bit emulator on a 32-bit machine (which I HIGHLY doubt is the case).

If so, then you'd be seeing an underpowered 32-bit box, running a 64-bit emulation so that you could load a 64-bit linux. Sounds like instant resource exhaustion to me.

I don't want to mess up one of the better spec machines until I'm sure the app will work

You can try some options here... First, use a bootable linux mode on one of the "good" (i.e. 64-bit capable) machines and try to run your app. Second, put 64-bit linux on a spare partition on a 64-bit machine. Third, swap out a hard drive to a blank and load 64-bit linux and your app.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Does that mean I need something that is capable of running 64 bit, even if I go through VMWare or Virtual PC?
Yes and Yes...

Wonder if there are any 64 bit emulators about.
Only on 64bit Hardware... None will work on 32bit...

Alternatively, I could check all the processors: quite sure one of the old ones is an AMD Athlon.
It would have to be an AMD Athlon64...

Go out and treat yourself to a new mainboard and CPU and the corresponding RAM... There are cheap bundles that are 64bit capable out there to be found, as some of the earlier chips are defunct and pc shops are selling them to get rid of them...

Ben

@geirendre - NOT... reread the manual... You can only run 64bit guests on 32bit OS, if you have the underlying 64bit hardware...

Ben

Can I put modern day lighter gasoline in a prehistoric flint?

Basically, that is the same question. 64 bit applications are not made for PII computers in any way. If a PII is all you have, don't even think of messing with 64 bit applications. If you must run a 64 bit application, get yourself a machine that can do so.

PIIs are old. Not only does it have a different processor, it has a different BIOS, lacks space in drives and memory, probably uses another USB standard, etc.

First, I am surprised that you can run a VM at all on a PII. Second, I would be very surprised if it would say something else than "out of memory" for anything heavier than notepad.

Like you cannot test lighter fluid with a prehistoric flint (you might get it to burn, but it won't tell you anything; even the flint in your modern lighter is totally different), trying to test the quality of a 64 bit program on a PII is a waste of effort.

+++ Despite being wrong in every important aspect, that is a very good analogy +++
Hex (in Darwin's Watch)

OK, point taken. I did find an AMD Athlon64 on one of the older PCs. It was retired (i.e. given to someone who only did word processing and spreadsheets) because the cooling fan started up everytime it had to do something serious (like build a system).

I'll try it out on that.

Old machines are more fun: they don't crash half as often and they don't mind so much if the fan stops working. Sure, I can get a 64-bit machine for £300 but the problem with new machines is the drivers.

For instance, Fedora-9 64bit doesn't run on the new Dell optiplexes: needs Fedora-10 64bit or Ubuntu 8.10 64bit. No problems with machines that are at least 1-2 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back