Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

616 Line Volume Faint - All 6 Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmarker2001

Programmer
Oct 20, 2008
US
This is what I've done so far:
[ul]
[li]System reset[/li]
[li]Changed all 6 lines to tone[/li]
[li]Programmed all 6 lines to one phone[/li]
[li]Tested known good CO to each of the 6 lines[/li]
[li]Tested on more than one extension[/li]
[/ul]

Here's what I get:
[ul]
[li]Calls coming in - ring and when answered, from the Nortel set - incoming voice is almost too faint to hear. From the caller's side - voice is almost to faint to hear.[/li]
[li]This is present on all 6 lines.[/li]
[li]Calls going out - on the Nortel set the dialtone is faint and dialed numbers are not "heard" by the phone company[/li]
[/ul]
Again this is all 6 lines on more than one station phone.
I popped the hood and nothing looks/smells burnt.
Is the system a goner?
Could it be the software cart?

TIA!

Is this on all phones or just one?

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

As I said, "All 6 lines on more than one station phone". It's not the handset. I've tried stations 221 and 222

As a test, would you put a regular old phone (like a 2500 set) on the emergency service jack (should be a rj11 on lower right of the ksu. When power is off to the ksu, line one should connect to that jack. Do you have the same diminished audio? What I want to test for first is external faults such as an oxidized amp connector or a problem on the 66 block or ground leakage on a spent/damaged lightening protector block.

Sorry, forgot to add that I tested the power fault connection and it works fine.
I'm beginning to think that I should butter this one up... (it's toast!)

I'm using one known good line to test all the line jacks, I have a buttset on the line too. It seems like the system has an "issue" with the CO lines...

If it was my customer I probably would have upgraded them to a CICS about 15 years ago if that tells you anything.

Phonehed in Dallas

Thanks for the constructive comment, Phonehed. <grin>
It's a box I pulled out of a building that is being demolished. I was looking to eBay it. Sounds like I'm better off sending it to the recycler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back