Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

60Gb HD shows only 30Gb after Partitioning !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorguruga

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
GB
I just partitioned my new 60gb hd using Microsoft fdisk. When I was partitioning it only allowed me to create 20gb and 12gb partition. Installed WinME, booted.

Now when I right click on my computer it says the HD partitions have 30.8Gb capacity total! It supposed to be a 60gb drive!! Did the fdisk mess it up, if so how do I fix it? Or.. have I been sold a 30gb drive (it says 60gb on the official IBM drive label)

Well if you created a 20 and a 12 GB partitions that would erm equal to just over 30GB in total.

If you want 60GB you will need to create large enough partitions. To save yourself the hassle of reinstalling you could try Partition Magic ?

Does you motherboard/bios support drives larger than 32GB (size limit on some boards)? You may need a bios upgrade to support larger drives. Try looking on mobo manufacturer's site.

Problem is now solved.

Grenage.. it wasn't a maths question, I can add 20 and 12. [thumbsup2] The point was that I had 30gb max to choose from in fdisk. I assumed that when Windows was installed it would display the correct capacity.

Wolluf.. My last hard drive was a 40Gb so I ruled out the motherboard problem, my pc is only 2 years old with an Intel motherboard.

The problem turned out to be an incorrect jumper diagram on the hard drive. I messed around with the jumpers and now I have 60Gb.. All that hassle over a little piece of plastic. :)

Gorguruga -- Just for future reference, wolluf was on the right track. The reason that your hard drive has that setting, is so that you could potentially use that particular hard drive on a motherboard that doesn't support over 32 GB (albeit you only get 1/2 of the potential space.). Kind of a backwards compatibility thing.... Thought that you might like to know!

Simply a "feature", not a bug!! Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Try checking the jumper setting there is a setting that limits the capacity of the drive. If that isn't the case it may just be the motherboard not supporting that large of a drive. If that is the case try buying a promis card, the promise card should see the entire drive.

Mudskipper.. thanks, never knew that info. Will be useful to remember for future upgrades.

Puzzled.. never heard of the promis card, but problem is solved.

Grenage.. no offence taken, thanks for the input. ;-)

if that hdd is mfd by samsong there is a jumper setting
which has to be done plz find out the u'r bios support capacity of ide it totaly depend on u bios up grade u bios
if it is branded then go to the site and up grade it bios
this help u a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back