Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

60GB HD but can only use 30GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh821

Technical User
Mar 28, 2003
US
I have recently installed a new hard drive which is supposed to be 60GB but when I go into my computer and pick the C: drive I find that I only have 30GB capacity. This was a friend's old hard drive which had WinME on it. I deleted the original partition, made a new one, formatted that, then installed Win 98SE (which if I remember correctly, it read that I had the whole 60GB capacity at that point). From there I installed WinXP Pro which is my current setup. Ever since then though I have this capacity problem. I've used Partition Magic 8.0 to try resizing the partition, creating another partition and merging them, and just creating another partition. So far none of these methods have done anything at all. When I created another logical partition it didn't even show up. Oh yeah, and my file system is NTSF. If anyone knows how I can go about making my C: capacity 60GB instead of 30GB, preferably without having to format the whole thing and start from scratch, please drop me a line here.

1. If you go into disk management in XP (run diskmgmt.msc), what can you see (it should show whole drive - partitioned and not - mind you so should PM - what version of PM?)
2. Are you sure it ever showed 60GB?
3. How old is your mobo/bios (some have a 32GB limitation)
4. When you installed XP, did you update ME or clean install? Did you initially have fat32 or ntfs (XP can create max 32GB fat32 partition)

Just some ideas.

some older computers will not see over 30gb. check the manufacturers web site for relevant bios upgrade. I had the same issue with my 80gb.

It's weird, when I open up partition magic 8.0 it says that the drive is the full 60 gigs, but when i go into disk management it says only 30 gigs. I've got the newest drivers and I haven't been able to find out if it supports over 32GB yet but I can't imagine that it doesn't. It's an MSI board setup for a pentium III and released in May 2001.

Did you goto the manf website and look at the bios updates?

if you mean the software updates, yes, I've got all the updates for it.

I'd suggest you check for a BIOS upgrade, as some older BIOS' do not support drives larger than 30GB, like mine. I have a SOYO board which the manufacturer states the BIOS/Board I have, will not support larger drives.
Check the web site of your motherboard manufacturer for BIOS support details.
trmbr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back