Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

60 Minute Timeouts for CDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdelv

Programmer
Apr 21, 2003
US
I am running Hummingbird Exceed V8.0 on a Windows2000 workstation at home using Verizon DSL over a VPN and everything seems to work just fine.
Unfortunately, after precisely 60 minutes from the time of the initial login to a Sun server, in the XDMCP Query mode, the CDE abruptly exits and returns to the CDE login window.
No timeouts occur when working from the office on the corporate LAN (no VPN).
The startlog.old file reports:
Xsession[727]: 6100 Hangup
XIO: fatal IO error 131 (Connection reset by peer)on X server: lsanca1-ar2-4-60-002-115.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net:0.0".
The errorlog reports:
dtsession: Connection to server lost - exiting
Workspace Manager: I/O error on display:: lsanca1-ar2-4-60-002-115.lsanca1.dsl-verizon.net:0.0
What's killing my CDE?

ensure that your win2000 systems IP address is listed in the etc/host file on your Unix system. Try again

Fens

Wdelv, Did you ever resolve your situation with the Fatal I/O error 131 (connection reset by peer). I am having a very similar problem, except I receive the IO Error 131 message right away. I am literally not able to input to my xterm that I open on the sun server. My configuration works perfectly at work, on the corporate lan. It does not work at home when using VPN client over a DSL connection. I have a theory on why mine is not working. I will test it tonight from home, and will let you know if my theory proves true. (In a nutshell, I think that I ended up with an old, unsupported version of the VPN Client software on my W2K workstation, when our corporate desktop group rolled me over to a new PC. I have installed the newest version of the VPN Client software and will try it again tonight.

I upgraded to the newest version of the Cisco VPN Client software, and all of my problems went away. I am now able to open an xterm via VPN over DSL with a Dlink Firewall/DSL router. I am able to type in the xterm windows. They do not time out. I do not receieve error messages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back