Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

60 hz power hum on music and page

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcw2

Programmer
Dec 5, 2005
CA
I've just installed a BCM50 and the music and pages have a noticeable power hum. I have the BCM plugged into a UPS with the server(s), can this be the source?

The wire from the BIX strip to the paging amp and music source is in shielded wire and I hoped that might be the source. The music sounds clean at the point of attachment to the BCM.

The paging amp and music source were working fine on a CICS when I changed out the CICS for the BCM. I was wondering if I needed an impedance matching transformer for the music source which is one side of a stereo amp that should go to a 4-16 ohm speaker. They said it worked fine on the CICS though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have tried the butt test with the feeds isolated from the switch. What I didn't think to try is each feed alone (with the other disconnected). ie. just the paging ckt on the switch with no music feed.

I also didn't closely check the UPS if some of the outlets were unfiltered power. It is a pretty big unit but maybe an old one.

As usual the problem switches are a 3 hour drive away. I think I will try to get the customer to try a different power source, even if they have to run an extension cord temporarily.

A little late with the reply, sorry.
You stated 'shielded wire'. How are the shields terminated?
The hum is possibly caused by a ground loop.
Best practice would have the shield grounded at one end only, to minimize the risk.
Back in my radio engineering days I always grounded at the 'source' end of the shielded pair and it served the purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back