Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

60 columns comparison mapping problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlito

Programmer
Sep 30, 2002
SG
Hello guys,

I need some help or information for this logic.

I have one table (say Table A1) that has 60 columns containing date field.

I have a driver table that has also a date (Table B1)

Now I need to get the minimum of the date in Table A which is greater than the date in Table B.

The same thing another field will be populated but now I need the date that is equal or less than the date in Table B.

Have you already encountered such implementation in Informatica without using a stored procedure. When we run using connected stored procedure the performance suddenly drop to 4 records. Usually, the throughput is 100 rows/sec.

Thanks.

rgds,
jlito

a possible strategy:

1. Do a lookup to table B to fetch the date
2. Pass only records from A that have date greater than date from B
3. Apply a ranking on a variable that stores something like:
(3000000 - TO_DATE (date, 'J'))
This will give rank 1 to lowest date from the filtered set
4. Pass only the row with rank = 1

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Thanks. But what do you mean by passing to a lookup. I have a problem on doing a lookup on the 60 columns of the record (I'm comparing these 60 columns with a specified date in Table A). I need to know which date in the 60 columns should i take.

Do you have any suggestion for this kind of logic?

Regards,
jlito

Sorry, I misunderstood your question......

I suppose you need to do this for whole set of records from table B for a certain dimension?

I can think of a bit laborous solution like this:

1. Normalize table 1 like:

DIM date1 date2 date3 date4 date5 ..............

to:

DIM 1 date1
DIM 2 date2
DIM 3 date3
DIM 4 date4
DIM 5 date5

Store this data in a temp table

2. Create a mapping with temp table as source, do a lookup to table A for each value of DIM.
Calculate the DATEDIFF between the date from normalized table and the lookup. Use a filter to get rid of the dates that have negative DATEDIFF. The remaing records are fed through an aggregator with group by dim and min(DATE_DIFF)

Result is minimum from table A but greater than date from table B.

Other approaches may work even better, but by normalizing table A (having data in rows instead of columns) you can use standard aggregate functions like MIN(....)

Create a batch on these two mappings and you have a 2 step solution!

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Sorry, I misunderstood your question......

I suppose you need to do this for whole set of records from table B for a certain dimension?

I can think of a bit laborous solution like this:

1. Normalize table 1 like:

DIM date1 date2 date3 date4 date5 ..............

to:

DIM 1 date1
DIM 2 date2
DIM 3 date3
DIM 4 date4
DIM 5 date5

Store this data in a temp table

2. Create a mapping with temp table as source, do a lookup to table A for each value of DIM.
Calculate the DATEDIFF between the date from normalized table and the lookup. Use a filter to get rid of the dates that have negative DATEDIFF. The remaing records are fed through an aggregator with group by dim and min(DATE_DIFF)

Result is minimum from table A but greater than date from table B.

Other approaches may work even better, but by normalizing table A (having data in rows instead of columns) you can use standard aggregate functions like MIN(....)

Create a batch on these two mappings and you have a 2 step solution!

T. Blom
Information analyst
tbl@shimano-eu.com

Now i can start my design. thanks man.

rgds,
jlito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back