Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6.52 Cms(?)Errors: Cant update embedded profile/Cant copy to clipboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pubah

Technical User
Aug 29, 2002
BR
Hi, Pros.

I need to “recycle” some very old Pagemaker’s 6.52 jobs – annual reports, new editions of previous formated books...

Some of those jobs frequently causes Pagemaker’s error messages like

1. Cannot update embedded profile from image "imagename.tif or eps"/ Ignore all subsequent warnings? (I need to press YES for several times...)

2. Cannot copy to clipboard -> CMS Error: Could not find this profile.
The dialog box containg this messages blows up everytime i try to “drag and copy” some graphics – normally the same graphics reported in the first topic (Cannot update embedded profile from image "imagename.tif or eps")

My current CMS setup is:

color managament: OFF
Monitor simulates NONE
New Items use NONE
- Embed profiles in documents: UNMARKED
- Manage Composites on printer: UNMARKED
- Use extra memory to improve performanceUnchecked: UNMARKED

Questions:

1st. How can I fix these situation?
2nd. Even If I can’t remove the first message, is there anyway to “drag and copy” these “misfunction graphics”?

Thanks a lot,
pubah#uol.com.br

Hi, pubah,

1. Colour Management:

A Starting Point

You need to use PageMaker's color management system. Here are the settings provided to me by Len Hewitt which I have been using with success:

Color Management: ON

Monitor Simulates: Composite Printer

New Items Use: Kodak ICC

Kodak ICC Settings:

Monitor: Select the monitor profile you created with Adobe Gamma from Photoshop

Composite Printer: Select the ICC Profile for your desktop printer (if applicable)

Separations Printer: Select the same profile as your Photoshop CMYK setup (SWOP Coated for instance)

RGB Image Source: Same as your Photoshop RGB working space (AdobeRGB for instance)

CMYK Image Source: The same as your Photoshop CMYK setup.

CMYK Images from Photoshop will then appear pretty similar in PageMaker to Photoshop. It doesn’t matter whether you embed profiles when saving from Photoshop as you are telling PageMaker what profiles to assume.

Do NOT embed ICC profiles in greyscale images from Photoshop - this confuses PageMaker’s color management system and can lead to all kinds of problems.

-- thanks to Len Hewitt for providing these settings

See also:
2 Importing:

there anyway to “drag and copy” these “misfunction graphics”?

No - always use file -> Place. The (windows) clipboard is inadequate for such things.

"You are most likely to encounter problems in Adobe PageMaker if you set up publications incorrectly, paste graphics instead of place them, and save infrequently."

From: Recommended Workflow for Creating PageMaker Publications

HTH.

Iechyd da! John
02:00 28/03/03 GMT

Hi, BigJohnD,

I would like to thank you.

I don't "copy and paste to clipboard" -- cause Im a 1990 DTP survivor :)) -- but the "drag and copy" is exactly the same thing and I simply forget this... :)))

I'll change my CMS status right now.

Again, thank you very much!!!
pubah

Hi, pubah,

I hope the CMS settings work for you. It can sometimes be problemetic if profiles are embedded in the image.

> "drag and copy"

With PM it's no problem. You can tile two files side by side and drag from one window to the other - the internal PM clipboard does that superbly. But do that from another app, then the OS takes over, and of course MS only set it up to work 100% between their own appliactions.

Iechyd da! John
14:43 28/03/03 GMT

Hi, pubah,

I hope the CMS settings work for you. It can sometimes be problemetic if profiles are embedded in the image.

> "drag and copy"

Within PM it's no problem. You can tile two files side by side and drag from one window to the other - the internal PM clipboard does that superbly. But do that from another app, then the OS takes over, and of course MS only set it up to work 100% between their own appliactions.

Iechyd da! John
14:43 28/03/03 GMT

Hi again!

>>>>> "drag and copy"

>>>>> Within PM it's no problem. You can tile two files side by side and drag from one window to the other - the internal PM clipboard does that superbly. But do that from another app, then the OS takes over, and of course MS only set it up to work 100% between their own appliactions.

I just hold "contrl + alt" keys when move a selected figure and then its copy. I think pagemakers is under control when I do that.

But when Pm starts to talk about "cannot copy to clipboard" in this situation, i realize that's pagameker maybe is NOT controlling the process.

The infamous Windows clipboard was doing its s dirty work...

Hi, Pubah,

> I just hold "contrl + alt" keys when move a selected figure and then its copy

There's no need - just drag from one PM window to the next.
When dragging from one PM window to another, PM copies by default.

Iechyd da! John
17:38 29/03/03 GMT

Hi, BigJohnD,

>>>> I just hold "contrl + alt" keys when move a selected figure and then its copy

> There's no need - just drag from one PM window to the next.
When dragging from one PM window to another, PM copies by default.

I use do drag and drop in the SAME window to crate a perfect copy of a selected objected.

Sometimes i need to clone complex objects (as groups).

In this case is not a good idea place again some graphics --time consuming.

That's the point: time.

If doing this I'm in fact using Windows clipboard to produce a "non time consuming copy" it ISNT a good idea...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back