Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6.5 to 2000 Data Transfer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimmy

MIS
Nov 25, 1999
FR
I currently have a Live SQL 6.5 server which I needed to upgrade to 2000.
To stop downtime a new server was bought and I created that as a direct copy of the live server and upgraded to 2000
All Databases and objects have be upgraded fine but now i need to copy all the up to date data from the Live 6.5 server.
What is the best way to transfer data only from 6.5 to 2000?????
I have looked around but found that most of the wizards only work with V7.0.
Do you need to use DTS packages? If so how??

Thanks in advance......Paul

Hi There

The recommended and best thing to do when you are upgrading a database is to use the Database Upgrade wizard. This will transfer the whole database including the data.

However if you really want to, you can use DTS to transfer the data from the SQL6.5 server to the SQL2000 server. If you have problems selecting the 6.5 server and get problems saying DTS wont work on 6.5, you need to need to run instcat.sql from SQL2000 against the 6.5 server. It should be in the install folder under the installation of SQL Server.

Hope This Helps.

Bernadette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back