Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6.1 will not print 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanman74

Instructor
Apr 28, 2004
US
I have Quark 6.1 installed on G5's(10.3.3). On two machines, I send a quark doc to the HP printer, it goes through the motions in the print center, an activity light blinks trwice on the printer, then nothing...Acrobat,Photoshop, etc. print fine...
Any ideas?

Hi Sanman,
Well hv u tried creating a ps file from quark and then try to print it i.e. drag the ps file over to the printer and see if it prints. if it prints fine. means u need to update printer drive.
Another thing you can check under utilites -> ppd manager ( is ur printer listed. If not try to locate ur PPD.

Try this , hope it works for u.

Greg

Thats SCANman, although I feel like the sanman somestimes

Tried both...no luck..The strange thing is that I have 4 machines set up "the same way"..Three machines print fine (including the problem ad). i have copied the PPD file, repaired permissions, etc.
I can print out of all other apps, including PDFs created in Quark.
Running on a Panther machine printing to an HP8150

Traced the problem to font permissions.....Went to Library>Fonts and did Get Info....Set ownership and permissions to RW in all options..Works fine....

scanman, I'm having the same problem with Quark 6.1 not printing, but everything else does. I just got a G5 1.8dual and all new software. This is driving me crazy. I've already returned an HP printer and now I am having this problem on my new Brother HL-5050. Even their tech support couldn't help. I'm waiting for a call back from their "tech guru". Will this learning curve ever end? I am trying to run a business! I also tried your suggestions, but I couldn't follow it to a good solution. Help would be appreciated.
thanks.

Hi Guys - I have just 'upgraded' to XPress 6.1, running Panther 10.3.2, ALL my applications print fine to my HP Lazer 5/5m, including PDF's run from Xpress. I have tried all the suggestions that Quark Tech Desk have come up with, including isolating extensions, fonts and PPD's - it STILL DOESN'T WORK. InDesign however is fine it takes in all my XPress docs and prints them out - lovely!Does anyone out there have a solution, I WILL throw Xpress out on it's ear, as all my Docs are purely for internal consumption, as long as I can print them I'm happy...Dagie007

I have the same problem on our two dp1.8 G5s and our G4 (800), running 10.3.4. Everything works fine but printing from Quark 6.1. I have tried to adjust the font permissions, and to print a ps-file. I have downloaded the updated PPDs for our two network printers. Nothing worked...
It is realy quite unbelievable.
The only way to print is to use Preview (gives a low resolution print) og make a PDF and print from acrobat.
Help appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back