Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

6.1 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRNDL2

Technical User
Aug 11, 2009
US
Just purchased a new ip500v2. On start up it showed it was at 6.0(8) and we just upgraded it to 6.0(18). Can this be upgraded again to 6.1 without an upgrade license?

In reading about licenses it seems to say that for the first 90 days it will run on any rel 6.0 or higher but after that time period it would require an upgrade license.

Lastly if we can go to 6.1 are there many bad reviews and would it be better to stay at 6.0

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

You can upgrade within 90 days.
Those 90 days are some kind of grace period.
After those 90 days you need an upgrade license if you want to upgrade to a higher release.

So now you have 6.0 and yuo can go to 6.1
End of the month 7.0 comes out and then you are still withing those 90 days.
You still can upgrade without a license.
When 8.0 comes then you need an upgrade license because that will not be within those 90 days.

6.1 is better then 6.0
6.1 is based on 6.0 software and is improved.
There is already a maintenance release out now.
6.0 will not have anymore updates.

PS maintenance releases are always free.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

If its within 90 days of the time you first fired it up you can go to 6.1 without a license.

6.1 has been fairly good from what I've seen.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses, looks like we'll upgrade to 6.1.

Thanks again.

Jerry

we have seen problems with 14XX handsets not upgrading when connected to DS 30 modules on 6.1.12 6.1.5 is ok

I do not Have A.D.D. im just easily, Hey look a Squirrel!

What if you're not in the 90 day period? I bought the upgrade license and went from 4.2 to 6.0.8 about 8 months ago.

Do I need another license to go from 6.0.8 to 6.1.12? I read that a new upgrade license is needed for "major revisions". What is a major revision to Avaya? 6.0 to 6.1? or 6.0 to 7.0?

Thanks
Tom

R6 is Software Upgrade 2
R6.1 is Software Upgrade 3
R7 will be Software Upgrade 4

(My guess is that 1 would have been R5 until they had a change of heart)

You need the correct license loaded and valid to run a particular software level and they are not backwards compatible either (so I'm told, never tried!!). ie, if you have license 3 for 6.1 you can't go back to R6.0.

I think there was going to be a price difference between major and minor releases (Rmajor.minor), but this seems not to have happened. R6 is the same price and R6.1 and Im guessing R7 will be the same again.

Jamie Green

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

R5 was going to be licenced, it was in the docs of the FT but they changed their mind.

Anyone suffering bugs that are only fixed in the next release up are entitled to free upgrades, once you have managed to prove it to them :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

You need the correct license loaded and valid to run a particular software level and they are not backwards compatible either (so I'm told, never tried!!). ie, if you have license 3 for 6.1 you can't go back to R6.0.
You can go back, don't worry.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

I bought the upgrade license and went from 4.2 to 6.0.8"

Wouldn't have mattered for you anyway, if you were running 4.2 then you have a v1 unit which aren't affected by the 90 day grace period

ACSS-SME
fo shizzle ma nizzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back