Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

56k v.92 internal faxmodem using win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezra2004

Technical User
Aug 7, 2004
US
Unable to use com2 error messages com 3 or 4 will not work modem is ok. Computer is a Gateway. Old modem used com 5. Error messages sometimes say modem not installed correctly.
Older modem is not operative when reinstalled. Can I disable com 2 and force system to use another com port. Some of the errors read com port in use.

Thank you

Need more info.

What OS?
How many modems appear in control panel or device manager?
Any conflicts in device manager?
What manufacturer/model is the modem?
Did this modem ever work?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

What OS?
How many modems appear in control panel or device manager?
Any conflicts in device manager?
What manufacturer/model is the modem?
Did this modem ever work?

Matt J.

Win98
One modem id device manager
Sterling Communications Model 520
Yes. New modem 56k v.92 PCI Internal

Most pci winmodems default to a certain port. So the old modem has been physically removed, right? That's step one.

Okay, boot to safe mode, go to add/remove programs in the control panel. Uninstall any modem drivers listed here.
Still in safe mode, open device manager, expand modems, remove anything left behind. Expand Ports, and make sure there is only one COM1, and one COM2. If you have duplicates, remove them all. Reboot.

If you had duplicate COM ports, Windows should reinstall them. If not, then go ahead and reinstall your modem device driver. Take whatever COM port it gives you.

Go to Control Panel, Modems. Highlight the modems, hit diagnostics. Select the COM port the modem is on, and hit more info. Reboot a couple of times, repeat. If this works, port should be okay. Now try to dial out.

If you still have problems, let me know.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

So far everything you have mentioned I have tried. I have really hit a wall on this one. I appreciate your suggestions. Would appreciate more help.
Thanks

So when you hit more info on diagnostics, what do you get?

Matt J.

Error Could not open port. No AT commands.

As a test, run MSCONFIG, go to startup tab, uncheck EVERYTHING but systray, reboot, see if it still happens.

Matt J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back