Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

56K Modem - Minumum Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackS2

MIS
Jul 7, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have a 56K modem in my pc. For about a year now the connection to the net has been a joke (And before you say I can't get broadband where I live, or I would!!) At best it will connect at 12,000KBPS so like 12K the very best is 14,400KBPS. I know a 56K modem won't connect at 56Kbps but it should be able to do atleast 28,800 (28.8) or 31,200KPBS (as per the other pc in my household does)

Am I looking more at a problem with my phone line or the modem? What can I do to help speed things up? I have reinstalled the drivers, downloaded web accelerators, I have a BT engineer coming out to check the line etc, anything else anyone can recommend?

Cheers

Adam.

a couple of immediate thoughts,
Getting something like "Modem doctor" and having it check out the modem,
checking with your provider that the Number you are dialing is Capable i.e. a 56K modem on both Ends
House wiring, are the Jacks and Wire Relatively "new"
one way to check this is hooking you modem directly to the Demark of you house or building and seeing if you get the same connection speeds,

Hi, thanks for the reply.

A couple of questions.... where can I get modem doctor from? and is it free? the house wriring is not new. and what is the "Denmark" of the house? I think by this you mean the main phone port?

Let me know

Cheers

I have just downloaded modem doctor so will give that a run tonight.

sorry the "Demark" is the point where the phone Line Enters the building or otherwise connects with the wire in the House, sometimes this is Inside the House sometimes it is in the basement, (or other utility room)sometimes it is outside the house, there are any number of places I have seen it, including under a porch of a house or "Crawlway" if the place is older you will likely see 2 screw Terminal, with one wire going to a ground, i.e. waterpipe, and one or more wires going to the house wire and one cable/wire coming from phone Company, also depending on the manufacture of the modem there are some diagnostic's that might be useful,

Well, to update the modem doctor did fook all, still same s[eed, can;t get over 12,000 Kbps! and I have seen post's moaning at 48,000 Kbps on a 56K! I would love that speed! lol!

Think my old chap will know where the "denmark" is I will try that next! :)

I don't know how things are there but If you get the same results connected directly to the Demark, you may be out of Luck as your telco may or may not "guarentee" any peticular connection Speed, (on a POTS line) If they do then you might has a Easy Recourse, if they Don't they will usually offer something like "Calabrated" or lines that will connect at a given rate, but be advised they are generally More Expensive, then POTS service,
On the other Hand if you get a better connection speed, and it is consistant, i.e. you dial into them 5-6 times and get something in the upper 30 to lower 40's it may be time to re-do the house wiring,
On the third hand have you tried a different physical Modem, or ISP?

Hi,

I never got a chance to try it in the denmark last nite, should be able to try tonight, while I am there I will be upgrading OS, Dial up software, Modem drivers and see what happens, once I try all this I will let you know!

Cheers

OK, the above didn't change anything, one last thing I did try however was to take the modem out of my other PC and and swap it over with the one in my own PC. Hey presto I got the same connection speed as the PC downstairs was able to establish! (on my phone line upstairs) I then put my modem in the other pc and took it back downstairs. established a connection with the other phone line and surprise surprise it only connected at crappy 12Kbps! So, from that I can say that my modem was duff and a new on is on the cards! :D

Cheers for all your help and suggestions mate!

Adam.

Phone companies in the states usually don't guarantee data connections at higher than 14.4kbps. You said you connected directly to the box where the phone line comes to the house and it didn't do any better? If that's the case, then it's not the house phone wiring causing the trouble.
. How are your regular voice phone connections re. noise and volume? My line was once so noisy that my modem couldn't even hear the dial tone. Turned out to be the drop from the pole to the house had gone bad, but it took them a week to figure it out. That would've been the first thing I checked but they'll do almost anything short of sending a service man to a home first...
.bh.

He who dares not offend cannot be honest. -- Thomas Paine.

Thanks mate. Still manage to connect at 31.2kbps everytime now :D I have had an email though from our phone company and we will be able to get broadband in our area later this year! :D :D :D

(P.S I live in the UK)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back