Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

568A OR 568B ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1cane

Vendor
Mar 5, 2003
US
I have a project to run cat 3 for 400 locations.The phone system is att system. The question is what standard should i use?

Thanks

If all you ae running is phone and you are using cat3 wire use USOC standard for three pair.

Depends - Which AT&T system? Does it require two or four pairs terminated at the jacks. If two, either terminate 568-A or USOC 2-pair, if four, use 568-B.

If I were doing it, I'd certainly run Cat5 even for phone. It's not much more money and much wiser to install for the future.

But, the question was how to terminate it. Since you've already prefaced it with ATT, the 568B may be the better option depending on which phone it is. If you terminate the wiring on 568B jacks, you should be able to plug ANY phone into it (even those damn old Merlins).

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

you reference 568 a/b so i assume you are running 4pr. I would use 568a because it pins the first 2pr to cover usoc and most external adapters..but then again 568b(WECO) is ATT's baby, a grandfatherd acceptance but that's for in place plants

First, Don't use Cat3. Really. The amount you save is virtually nil, and if you ever want to upgrade to IP telephones or anything, you are going to need cat5 anyway. Cat3 is DEAD and I don't know why cable manufacturers are even making the crap anymore. I personally won't install it. In fact, some (most?) manufacturers that have certified installer programs won't back up cat3 installs anymore.

Second, just wire every jack 568A on both the patch panel end, and the jack end. 568A is the current standard. Most every modern phone system will work with this (won't hurt to double check with your ATT vendor for you particular PBX model though.) The 568A standard is preferred over 568B because pairs 1 and 2 are the same for both USOC and 568A. One and 2 line USOC phones will work with either 568A or B. If you need the all pairs USOC, you can always use 568A -> USOC dongles.

The ONLY reason I would use 568B is on pre-existing installs where 568B is already in place. What you Don't want to do is mix standards.

I still use cat3 all the time. It makes an excellent pull string for the cat5's on a heavy pull.

Actually cat3 has some benefits if you know thats all you'll ever need. It terminates faster to 66 blocks, and on long hard pulls the twists arn't as sharp so they don't cut into each other as often. A permium quality cat5 will prevent that but hardly anyone spends the money on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back