Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5610 DHCP vs. fixed IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

galexa1004

Vendor
Jul 22, 2007
US
I'm installing a new 5610 to a 406 V3.2.57 using Manager as the file server (total of 10-5602 and 4-5610 IP sets). If I use DHCP in the phone setup it will not load the current bin files/upgrade, but if the phone has a static IP address it will upgrade the bin files from Manager.

Is this a network issue? Is it a better practice to assign static IP's to the IP phones on the LAN?

I read the IP Phone installation docs, but my understanding of the relation between fixed vs. DHCP and the File server remained unchanged. Is there something in the Knowledge Base that covers this? Thank you.

you need to set option 176 in the DHCP server so that the phones know where to find the files and where the call server is, by default these options are not used so if the phones are looking for this they don't have the info to work.

Joe W.

FHandw., ACA, ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Or set the TFTP server manually on each phone and use the 46xxsettings.txt file and DHCP

Set 176 in the server and use DHCP. It is far easier.

Then you can plug each phone in and move on to the next while it messes about with s/w and go back round and put extn numbers in.

with 14 phones potentialy upgrading at the same time, use a 3rd party TFTP like SolarWinds or the free Avaya one. Manager will only handle 5 connections at once.

Jamie Green

ACA:Implement - IP Office
ACS:Implement - IP Office

Football is not a matter of life and death-It is far more important!!!!

Use this string in your option 176 witch you have to make (not in there by default)

MCIPADD=192.168.16.10,MCPORT=1719,TFTPSRVR=192.168.16.1

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

I wasn't saying option 176 wasn't easier, just giving an alternative.

Sometimes network admins will not let you get on to their servers.
Option 176 is definitely easier, especially if using VLANs provided you can get access to the server.

Then they should set it up
Just tell them it is the best way

Thank you for the input. Since my office is our lab there is no issue with access to the server and setting the Option176.

Is it accurate to say that if the LAN administrator assigns fixed IP's to the 56xx's the set knows to get the files from the file server address input during setup of the set and if you use DHCP you add the address in the 45xxsettings file so that it knows where to retrieve bin file?

When setting up the phones static then also the fileserver address needs to be set

The easiest is realy dhcp
It is 5 minutes of work

Make the option,add the string and activate the option
Plug in the phones and they boot up with the right adresses

It will cost you more time to setup it static

TL/Jamie/Westi -

The TFTP Options section of the IP Phone Installation doc now makes more sense. We turned off the DHCP addressing in our router, activated DHCP in our Windows server and added the 176 Option and the string which TL provided, thanks, (Appendix E of same doc is clearer now) and watched the magic. Thanks for the teaching.

Our customers are smaller and may not have a server. If you use DHCP of the router and no option 176 can you utilize a memory card in the base unit to push current bin files to the sets?

For small sites you can use the ipoffice for dhcp (for the phones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back