Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

552048T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucky101

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2006
AU
I currently have a stack of 3x Nortel 552048T POE switches, running 4.1 firmware. I have added a new 552048T switch to the stack which is running 4.2 firmware.
The problem is the new switch wont connect to the old stack. Any ideas? Is it a firmware issue?

The switches all need to be running the same version of software (either v4.1 or v4.2). I believe the ERS 5520 switches will automatically upgrade a switch added to a stack as long as the stack is already running v4.2.x software.

In short you need to either upgrade the stack to v4.2.x or downgrade the new ERS 5520 to v4.1

Cheers!

Love Your Work!! Very quick response, thankyou very much

I have just gone to the Nortel website to discover that there is alot of 4.1 and 4.2 firmware releases. The latest releaes is actually version 5.1.
Has anyone had any experiences with 5.1? I just want to make sure the latest release is stable

Running it on 3 data switches at our office and at 2 customer sites. One site uses 12 total 5520-48T-PWR.

No issues.

I've been running v5.1 software on about 45 ERS 5510/5520/5530 switches for quite some time now and haven't discovered any issues or problems. I believe you will need to upgrade to v5.0.6.26 before jumping to v5.1 (you can't just upgrade straight to v5.1 from v4.2).

I would recommend v5.1 for anyone performing a new installation.

Just remember that you'll need to download the latest Java Device Manager to manage a v5.1 switch.

Cheers!

Ok thanks. I have visited the Nortel website to grab the firmware. Is it just the .img that needs to be installed to update?
I ask this because in the information section of the switch there is a software version and a firmware version.

The software (agent) code is what provides the features and most of the interface, the firmware (boot) code is what initializes the switch, checks the hardware, and loads the software/agent code.

They are tied together but if your current firmware/boot code matches that listed with the software/agent code you don't need to upgrade it. If your firmware/boot code is older (or newer) than that listed you'll need to perform that upgrade before upgrading the software/agent code.

5.1 works stable, the only restriction I know ist that 10g links in SMLT are not working correctly.
Otherwise I have more than 20 5520 that works fine.

5.1 works stable, the only restriction I know ist that 10g links in SMLT are not working correctly."

Mylotto maybe you could elaborate. I was just about to upgrade a system running Edge 5530 SMLT to sw5.1. But maybe not ?

Is there any firmware version that enables by default the spanning tree?

Thanks...

When we upgrade firmware we lost config - is it ok?

reconfiguration looks like a long copy paste process.

The thread that keeps living...

pix530, I've never seen an ERS 5510,5520,55230 loose it's configuration during an software upgrade. Were you upgrading the boot or agent code when the problem occurred?

pgmli, the default configuration of all Nortel switches is with all ports in VLAN 1 and Spanning Tree enabled on all ports. You can use the CLI to disable/enable STP as desired without having to click through all the ports in Device Manager.

5520-48T-PWR> enable
5520-48T-PWR# config term
5520-48T-PWR (config-if)# interface FastEthernet 1/ALL
5520-48T-PWR (config-if)# spanning-tree learning fast
5520-48T-PWR (config-if)# exit
5520-48T-PWR #

You can also look at this post for a sample of how to configure an ER 5520;

Cheers!

The thread that keeps living...

pix530, I've never seen an ERS 5510,5520,55230 loose it's configuration during an software upgrade. Were you upgrading the boot or agent code when the problem occurred? Unless you backed up the configuration you'll need to reconfigure the switch by hand. There were issues with restoring configuration backups in the earlier software releases that I believe were resolved since v5.x

pgmli, the default configuration of all Nortel switches is with all ports in VLAN 1 and Spanning Tree enabled on all ports. You can use the CLI to disable/enable STP as desired without having to click through all the ports in Device Manager.

5520-48T-PWR> enable
5520-48T-PWR# config term
5520-48T-PWR (config-if)# interface FastEthernet <STACK NUMBER/>[PORT](1-5,15,ALL)
5520-48T-PWR (config-if)# spanning-tree learning fast
5520-48T-PWR (config-if)# exit
5520-48T-PWR #

You can also look at this post for a sample of how to configure an ER 5520;

Cheers!

I am going to do software upgrade on all 5520 and 8600 in the network, which version is the best and stable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back