Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5520 routing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

atascoman

Technical User
Oct 10, 2003
US
I am new to setting up routing on a new switch. I have added VLANs and VLAN IPs in the past but never setup L3 routing on one before. I have 2 VLANs in my lab switch. One for my lab network which has internet access and the other for my lab equipment which has it's own IP subnet.

VLAN 2 is the lab gear. IP is 10.99.0.1
VLAN 3 is the lab network. IP is 192.168.1.11
Both are class C. Default gateway is 192.168.1.10

I have enable ip routing on the switch. I can see the 192.168.1.0 in my dynamic routing table. the 10.99.0.0 network does not appear in the dynamic table though. Nor can I ping the 10.99.0.1 address when connected to the switch via either LAN or through the console.

Ports 1-12 are in VLAN 3, ports 13-24 are in VLAN 2. VLAN 3 is the management VLAN. I can not figure out why the 10.99 network is not showing up in the routing table.

Can the Layer3 switch ping its own VLAN 2 interface?

How are the ports 13-24 configured? untagged? what are they connected to?

Are you sure you have IP routing enabled?

No, it cant ping the VLAN 2 IP. Ports are untagged, nothing connected yet as I have not gotten the routing working properly yet. I went into config mode and typed ip routing.

try connecting something to both vlans, i think you will find the routes only appear when the vlan is up (and that only happens when there is an active device on the network).

OK, the last post got the other network up. I didn't know that you had to have something connected for it to build the route. Now the switch can ping either network, but when i connect a device to one of the networks and try to ping somethng on the other it doesn't work.

I can't even ping the gateway IP, tracert shows it's not even getting a response from the gateway for the network. Verified my gateway settings and mask are correct everywhere.

Let me get this straight -
You have a switchport in VLAN 2 (10.99.0.1) untagged.

You have a laptop with 10.99.0.2 on it and it is not configured to do 802.1q trunking (ie, it is in VLAN 2 untagged) and it is patched into a VLAN2 switchport.

Your laptop can't ping 10.99.0.1?

Close. I can ping 10.99.0.1 from the laptop in VLAN 2. I can't ping anything in the 192.168.1.x network from VLAN 3. When I do a tracert to a 192.168.1.x address it times out from the start.

DO you mean you are trying to ping 192.168.1.11 from the laptop in VLAN 2 and it doesn't work?

That would indicate your laptop has an incorrect default GW setting.
Your laptop, to get to 192.168.1.11 knows that this address is off its own subnet and therefore sends it via its own default GW, which must be on its own subnet or it won't work.
The laptop's default GW should be 10.99.0.1?

If your laptop can ping 192.168.1.11 (Layer3 switch) but not 192.168.1.22 (Some other host) then that would indicate that the other host has a default GW mis-configured.

Is routing turned on on the VLAN? I am in a place that does not run Nortel gear so I do not remember exactly where to check. You need to make sure routing is turned on globally and then you need to make sure that routing is turned on for the VLANs. It sounds like you do not have routing turned on for the VLANs

My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back