Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

anyichux

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2003
US
Hi All,

I have Exchange 2000 server that works fine, sends and receives e-mail with no problem as long as there is no attachment.

From within my e-mail domain, I can send an e-mail with any size of attachment and it will go through. But when someone sends an attachment over 2MB in size, the error below is recieved from MAILER-DAEMON.

"Remote host said: 552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage
allocation"

I have done all the verifications I know how to do on my exchange server 2000 server with no luck.

No storage limits has been set anywhere within the exchange server configuration settings. This is really costing me a lot of sleepless nights. Does anybody know what I can do to fix this problem any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

anyichux

Check with your ISP if they're imposing an attachment size limit on SMTP traffic.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks, Lander I'll get in touch with them and see what they'll say

anyichux

Hey Lander!

Got in touch with my ISP, and they said the SMTP traffic does not hit their server and for that reason, the prolem is not from their end.

This is the response I got back

Closed on...6/16/2004 10:20:12 AM [by SUPPORT]
The mail is going through xxx.xxx.xxx.162 which doesn't hit our server at all.

The error is coming from the Exchange server.

Any suggestions, will help.

Thanks,

anyichux

Please does anyone have any ideas

anyichux

anywhere within the exchange server configuration settings"

Have a look on the exchange tabs on the user accounts in Active Directory, the users may have a send and/or receive limit set there :

User properties
Exchange General tab
delivery restrictions button

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I just checked, and the settings on the user property Exchange General Tab and delivery restriction button for the user is set to use default limits. On both the sending message size and recieving message size. Do happen to know what the default limits are for exchange 2000 server? and what else I can possibly do.

anyichux

Do you/your users get this error sending to specific domains, or all mails in excess of 2mb have this problem?

If it is all outgoing, perhaps there is a mailbox size limit of around 2mb rather than an attachment size limit ? Have a look at a few users outlook clients, right click outlook today, properties, folder size button. If it is less than 2mb you may well have a global mailbox size limit set in ESM. 2mb sounds rather small to me though, you get 2mb on hotmail. It sounds more feasible that it is an attachment limit.

Sorry I cant tell you where the default attachment & mailbox size limits are set in ESM at the moment, Im at a remote site and cant access the Exchange box, but will be back in this afternoon and have a quick look and then post it.

[If you are really keen, open ESM, right click/properties on everything in the left hand pane until you find it ;-) ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back