Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation

Status
Not open for further replies.

babcockc

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
US
I have a home user that is using a Hotmail account to communicate with
our company.

She can email us perfectly fine when she composes a new
message...however, when she attempts to reply to a message sent from
us, she is getting back and undeliverable message as follows:

name@domain.com
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host mail.domain.com [xx.x.xxx.xx]:
552 Requested mail action aborted: exceeded storage allocation

She gets this message even with no attachements. The host domain name
and IP address are both correct as well as the email address
(obviously since she is replying) yet she gets this message.

This only happens with our domain.

We do have a secondary MX record for a server not currently online,
however the host that this message is referring to is our primary MX
record.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Short term possiblity to just type over the name in the reply to box. example. Press reply in hotmail then change the name in the to box with the actual email account again.

I've seen this (552 error) before with older mail servers when the to list had a lot of addresses, > 1024 characters in this case.

My guess would be that your server is putting out something funky in the senders address that hotmail.com doesn't deal with well. If you want some help checking it out send me a message to rdroske@frontrunnernetworks.com and one to rdroske@yahoo.com and I'll see what I can see.

Greatgazzo - We attempted that and it did not work...thanks for the idea however.

rdrokse - I would think that was a good possibility, however, it is only this one person that is having the issue. We have multiple people that use Hotmail accounts and they are not experiencing this. I sent a test message to my hotmail address, and replied to it no problem.

I am starting to think that it may have something to do with her account, her email client (if she is using Outlook Express and not the web interface) or her ISP.

I checked the headers in your messages and they look just like the ones from my server.

I'd have to agree that it is something unique to this user. If you want a message sent from a different Exchange server for her to try to reply to let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back