Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5500R Smartstart W/NT4 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

James529

MIS
Feb 21, 2002
US
Lenghy question:

I have a Compaq refurbished 5500r with 1280 mb memory that I picked up for $500. I want to set up with NT 4.0 and use this server in my business, networking it to my desktop pc (running XP) and laptop (win98) for starters (I bought a D-Link 10/100 5 port switch and some cat 5 cables). I think I want to set this server up as a PDC with DHCP, does this sound appropriate?).

I know nothing about setting up a server.

The server has two 9.1gb seagate ultra2 SCSI 10k hot swap disk drives in slots 0 and 1.

I used smartstart ver. 4.7 assisted setup. It ran fine (excepting for the NIC card which has an error in the event log, more on this later).

Using disk manager, looking at drive 0, I notice I have:

Two drives with 8676 mb

Drive 0 :

EISA Utilities 39 mb

Drive C: (partition?) having a capacity of 1545mb (shows as having practically no free space left).

The rest of the drive 0 shows "free space" of 7091mb. Seems to me there was a screen that asked me how much space to allocate..... (I left this allocation at the setting it was defaulted to)

The drive in slot 1 appears as 8676 mb "free space".

The C: partition is practically full, doesn't seem to be an ideal situation so I'd like a recommendation as to how I should have done during Smart Start to set this up (I'll have to run smartstart again using the "erase" option first yes??). During smart start, should I set the space at 8636mb? 1545 + 7091 ?

About the network issue. When I look at the network properties in control panel, i see Two adapters:

1. Compaq NC3120 fast ethernet NIC slot 6 bus 0
2. Intel 82557 - based 10/100 ethernet PCI adapter

The card in slot 6 i have connected to the d-link DSS5+ switch, I see a green light on the switch port. I also have my desktop pc plugged into the switch.

I ran diagnostics on the NC3120 and all tests passed.

In the event manager after startup I see:

"Service Control Mar"

"the intel 82557 based pro adapter driver service failed to start because device attached to the system is not functioning"

"E100B "

"E100B2: timed out during operation"

"Nic Agents"

Compac NIC agent error: Could not open the driver for device \device\E100B2. Cause: this error can be caused by improperly installed adapter, removing installing may correct problem...........

What i am counfused about is how my system can see TWO adapters when in the slot, there is only one card........

Any help would be much appreciated !

James

Yes, during Smart Start you need you use that bar and drag it to increase the size of your partition (Max 4.0, limitation for NT4.0, unlimited for W2K Server).
The 39MB EISA partition is where BIOS and diagnostics has been installed, some believe it's crap. but don't listen. Leave that as it is as it will become handy all the time.
all Compaq server prior Generation 2 servers eg. DL380G2 or ML370G2 have their BIOS installed on HDD (EISA partition).

That's also normal for SmartStart to pick to NIC card the reason coz the chipset on NIC is intel, So during SmartStart installation just deselect Intel and select just Compaq NIC.

This is the link for all driver for PL5500 NT4.0

After you finished installing the server download the following and update the drivers and Agent using the following link (This is very important) this has all the latest drivers/Agents.
you MUST reinstall this after reinstalling the MS service pack. That can cause blue screen at time if you don't do that.
Your problem in event viewer (about NIC) should go away after this.

Proliant Support Paq (PSP)

By the way what you are planning to do is appropriate as long as you wont increase you users etc,

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back