Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5500 switch LACP setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

VOIPaintEASY

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2005
US
We are using the 5510's stacked for a VMware farm. The server admins want to use LACP from the servers for link aggregation. I have setup MLT/ SMLT to the 8600's but not used LACP from an edge 470 or 550 0 series. Is the LACP setup as simple as editing the port and enabling LACP on a per port basis for the switch setup?

Here is Nortels latest doc on LACP.

I must admit that I personally have not had much success using LACP. I had more problems with the teamed NICs losing their network connection in Link aggregation mode. When I set them to ALB (adaptive load balance) they seem to work fine. I hope this helps a little.

Does ALB require any config on the switch port side ?

I have set up LACP on a 5520 (operating as a core switch in a network). The servers required different drivers be installed (not the standard ones that came in Windows), but once they were updated, the links worked VERY well and passed all of the link disconnect tests I threw at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back