Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5500 M10 HDD Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsau

Technical User
May 5, 2005
AU
Hello

I have just bought an M10 8661 3RY that had no drives. I went into the onboard raid configuration utility but cant get the system to recognise the drives. Could anyone possibly give directions on how to configure. It is running version 3.10.05. Also I wanted to upgrade the CPUs which are PII 450 to PIII 550 and am unsure of the jumper settings on the core frequency switch block. I have tried a number of combinations but the system shuts down.

Thanks

anything over 450 mhz the jumpers aren't used it auto detects the cpu speed and voltage...If you are using 2 cpu's make sure they have the same stepping or you could have issues. How are the drives in the system, what kind of drives if there were no drives installed? Did you get hot swap drive holders? If you go into mini config for the raid adapters and load factory defaults, what does it show?

Hello Thanks for the reply. The system originally had 1 PII 450 jumper settings 1 and 3 on. I turned off all and tried the PIII 550 and the system shuts down after 30 sec or so and the VRM warning LED shows. I tried it again with 1 nnd 3 on as the CPUs have the same voltage and the same happened. Put the 450 back in and the system boots.

I have 2 36Gb U160 drives in IBM trays in 0 and 1. I went into mini config. and it does not have a load fact defaults option. I went to controller status and it shows the 2 drives on CH2 in 0 and 1 as rdy but I cant format or configure. I also init. the drives but that did not achieve anything either.

factory defaults can be loaded in the advanced settings.
Is the p3 a xeon? it better be, or it will never work.check the manual here:ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/pc_servers/09n1001.pdf

Regarding the RAID, download the current version of the ServeRAID CD, and go from there. The interface is pretty straightforward. The version you have installed is ancient!!! While you're downloading, also get the latest version of BIOS, ASM firmware, and HDD firmware - better to flash these before you even think of installing an OS. Also pull down the right drivers for your onboard service processor (ASM) and video. Use the ServeRAID driver from the CD image you got in the first place.

For the CPUs, make sure you have the right VRMs for the processors and your Core Bus Ratio (5.5) switch settings should be 1-On, 2-off, 3-off, 4-off. Stepping levels DO NOT have to to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back