Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

550 you are not allowed to send mail to <email address>

Status
Not open for further replies.

drm184

MIS
May 25, 2001
US
Whenever someone tries to send an email outside of the organization, it comes back right away as undeliverable from the System Administrator. The last part of the return email says "550 you are not allowed to send mail to <email address>". In the event viewer on the server is says the same thing each time someone tries send an email.

We are able to email amongst other users without a problem. We are also able to receive email with no trouble. I have checked Internet Mail Service and the message delivery is set to the correct IP address, and not to a DNS. The transfer mode is set for inbound & outbound. Also I noticed that when someone tries to send an email, it doesn't even make it to the outbound que. It gets bounced back before that.

I spoke with our ISP and they had me check that the IP address was used and not a DNS because I guess they made some recent change and a lot of people were messed up because they went via the DNS and not the IP address.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm familiar with exchange and know how to keep it up and running (well, except for this instance), but definately not an expert on it. Thanks in advance for any help.

are you (and your clients) set up to authenticate?

Just got a phone call from our ISP. After saying all was well on their end, they are now saying that something happened during their maintenance upgrade this morning and it's on their end. Thanks for your help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back