Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5420 vs 2420 on IP Office, poor audio with 2420s

Status
Not open for further replies.

AhhClem

Technical User
May 11, 2010
US

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this experience. In the last few years I've installed IP Office systems and used a mix of 5420s and 2420s at several sites. While the 5420s seem to work and sound perfect, not all but a significant portion of the 2420s seem to have a lot of "surf and wind" noise, a lot like holding a sea shell to your ear. Whenever I've run into this issue, I replace the 2420 with a 5420 and the problem goes away. It's gotten to the point that we won't accept 2420s from our suppliers as a substitute for 5420s. Has anyone else noticed this issue with the 2420s? It doesn't seem to be all of them, but it's a large enough percentage that we won't accept them anymore for IP Office systems.

If there's a setting that cures this, that would be wonderful, but I don't think there is.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Both those handset went end of sale many, many years ago. So not many people will have this issue really :)

Thank you amriddle01. I suppose that's true for many. However, I still have customers using 406v2s and running R4.2. One is a medical facility that is just now transitioning from 4412Ds to 5420s. Phone systems in my world tend to hang around for a long time, 10 and sometimes 15 years, and upgrades are few and far between unless someone just has to have a feature that's new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back