Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5410 phones show "Please wait" on IP 500 v4.2.14 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkstrike1

Technical User
Apr 18, 2006
US
Hi folks - I am trying to add two 5410 phones to an IP 500 v4.2.14 system. I am getting the "Please wait" message noted in numerous other posts.

I noticed while reading other forum posts on this subject that some techs had encountered situations where previously working phones broke while attempting to resolve this issue. Therefore, I took the two 5410 phones to my office IP 500 running v9.0.3. After plugging the phones in I got the same "Please wait" message

Here is what I have done so far (on my v9 system):

- added ALLOW_5410_UPGRADES to Source number of Nouser
- modified and ran turn_on.bat and turn_off.bat as mentioned in Avaya service notes and other forum posts
- made sure a TFTP server was running on my manager pc (VM Pro)
- rebooted system

Results: both 5410 phones became operational on the v9 system.

So I took the two phones back to my v4.2 system and plugged them in. Now I am getting "Please wait" again.

I have not taken any of the above steps on the 4.2 system, simply because I am afraid of phones going into please wait mode.

Could I get some opinions on whether the steps listed are safe and a correct course of action?

My thanks to all who participate in this forum. It has been of great use to me.

Avaya SME Certified

First of all check if the file 5410_R5.bin is in the tftp folder.
Then disconnect the phones from the 4.2 system.
Enable the upgrade by typing in a DOS box : "fw_on 5410_R5.bin" without the quotes "".
Add the string "ALLOW_5410_UPGRADES" in the NoUser source number without the quotes "".
Connect the phones and they should up or downgrade to R5 and become operational

Read the below mentioned technical bulltins first!

NOTE FROM TB104.PDF
To protect customers from the 5410 upgrade issue documented in Technical Bulletin 91 this and future releases of IP Office software will not upgrade any 5410 telephones
which are already running R5 firmware when the Force Upgrade batch file is switched on.
If you wish to upgrade a 5410 already running R5 firmware a NoUser Source Number must be entered using Manager in addition to the Force Upgrade batch file.
When the NoUser source number is used in conjunction with the Force Upgrade batch file this will initiate an upgrade of all 5410 telephones including those already
running the R5 firmware. 5410 telephones running a previous release of firmware will upgrade as normal without the need to enter the NoUser source number when connected
to a system running this release of IP Office software.
NoUser Source Number to allow 5410 telephones running R5 firmware to upgrade: ALLOW_5410_UPGRADES

Hi Intrigrant,

Thank you so much for offering this lucid explanation for what needs to be done.

I checked and 5410_r5.bin is in the Manager directory. I will follow your suggestions and attempt to get these phones squared away.

Thank you!

Avaya SME Certified

Hey Intrigrant,

I wanted to let you know that your suggestions got my phone working! Thank you!

To benefit other readers, I will make note of the exact process I followed. Also, since this was a per visit customer and money was not an issue, I did not upgrade them to the latest release of 4.2 software.

Process used:

1 - installed and launched TFTP server (in this case, TFTP32), and set home directory of server to C:\Program Files\Avaya\IP Office\Manager
2 - confirmed 5410 firmware file 5410_R5.bin was present in the Manager directory
3 - edited the turn_on.bat, turn_off.bat, fw_on.bat, and fw_off.bat files to include the IP address of the IP Office
4 - made sure my new 5410 phone was unplugged
5 - opened a command prompt window, and changed to the Manager directory
6 - typed "turn_on" (without the quotes), pressed enter, waited for confirmation the transfer was successful
7 - typed "fw_on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (without the quotes, and xxx's replaced with the IP address of the IP Office chassis), pressed enter, waited for confirmation that the transfer was successful
8 - plugged in new 5410 telephone
9 - telephone said "Please wait", followed a few seconds later with a firmware download progress screen (Note: status in TFTP server window showed 5410_R5.bin being requested)
10 - after a few minutes the 5410 completed downloading the new firmware and became functional on the system
11 - typed "turn_off" (without the quotes), pressed enter, waited for confirmation the transfer was successful
12 - typed "fw_off xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (without the quotes, and xxx's replaced with the IP address of the IP Office chassis), pressed enter, waited for confirmation that the transfer was successful
13 - closed TFTP server, since I did not want to update any other working phones on this non-contract system
14 - complete

Thanks again for your sage advice Intrigrant!

Avaya SME Certified

I am glad you sorted it out, there is nothing so frustrating as a device displaying "Please wait" forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back