Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5302IP Handset

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKMitel

Technical User
Mar 17, 2008
GB
Any1 had any dealings with this newly released handset? At the minute it appears you have to press # once you have entered the number your dialling otherwise it takes quite some time before it dials out, can this be changed?
Also it has 2 line keys, can any1 explain exactly how they work?

Cheers

Hi,

5302 is a compromise between SIP and minet
Interdigit timer is set and cannot be changed; The value is 4 seconds.

I haven't try the second line, but it seems to appear on multiline keys form; I would say, you can programm a multicall of your own number just as if it was a 5212/5224 sets

Now, it's about French users too !!!

There is a strong customer demand to have the 5201 instated because of this issue. I'm not so sure marketing will permit it.

The issue I have with this set is when you're on a call & someone rings you from an internal extn, you don't get busy tone, the 2nd line key flashes. If a 3rd person calls you get busy tone or if an external call comes in whilst you are on the phone you get busy tone straight away, it's quite annoying!! Key 2 isn't programmed as a multicall either, software level 8.0.8.8.

we've just rolled out over 200 of these units on a single site. In my opinion the phone really is only analogue at best. several issues,
- # to send digits (not really end of digit dialing but the same thing),
-if a set has not registered you can't really tell why due to no display.
- You can't really tell when you've registered two sets with the same number.
You'll get dial tone on both phones. Problem when rolling out so many phones. only when dialing someone and it doesn't work can you tell that the one you're dialing from is not working. rebooting this phone will render the other 5302 'faulty'
- 4 second timer non adjustable and
- the worst is it doesn't support non forced,verified account codes! not sure about forced but pretty sure it doesn't.

all in all a crappy phone and not recommended for mass roll out. issues with design - had mulitple phones where the handset doesn't depress the hook switch sufficiently hence the phone looks like its busy and answering these phone was also a issue when it rang.

O and UKMitel the only way to present busy tone is to blank out the camp-on timer I'm told

Mitel is supposed to deliver such a same kind of telephone named 5304 (with a screen) by the end of June...
Have you heard of it ?

Now, it's about French users too !!!

yes I have...not sure if it will make things better at all though...don't have too much info on this just know it's gonna be around

Cheers for that Mitelpassion, auto camp on timer has already been blanked in the COS for the phones though.
I notice that you mention a design issue that the handset doesn't suppress the hook switch enough so the phone appears busy, this is what I'm trying to acheive in a way(the busy tone part), even if you take the handset off hook & ring the phone from another extn, you will hear ringing in your ear on the calling extn & the 5302 handset's 2nd line key will flash, the customer wants busy tone though, (no 2nd line key flashing). Although if you were to call the off hook extn from an external device you would get busy tone straight away, the 2nd line key wouldn't flash! All 5302's on this site have the same issue & all the handsets key 2 status on the system in the multiline set key assigment field is 'not assigned'. Is there something I'm missing or is this just the way these handsets are meant to work?

UKMitel,

sorry i mistakenly said that you get busy due to the hook switch not being engaged or disengaged properly.

the phone does in fact ring in the caller's ear and the second light does flash.

I'm told that by blanking the cos timer you will get busy...in the past for other phones to get busy tone for external calls you had to blank the camp on timer, didn't make a diff for internal calls though. so I guess the workaround that I'm told doesn't work?

No probs mitelpassion, I appreciate your time trying to help. Blanking the auto campon timer 100% gives callers busy tone, I think this works for both internal & external callers.
I'm not getting on very well with these 5302 sets!!

Ok... ya'll are freaking me out...I was planning on purchasing about 120 of these phones(5302) for my K-12 classrooms, but now you have me spooked. Any suggestions?

TBH honest canjuntank I think this set has been designed for & is aimed at specific enviroments, the 'normal' business office (where I have encountered them) is not one of these enviroments, however (& whilst I don't know exactly what a K12 classroom is!), I'm sure I've read the enviroment you have specified is where Mitel are aiming these sets.
May be worth just getting a couple in for testing though to see how you get on with them before ordering the 120, just in case!

For a school/classroom environment the 5302 will do just fine. You will want at least a 5330 or 5212 for the offices and administration areas.

In our K-12 district we have 5010/5215/5212 in all classrooms and 5020/5224 in all office areas. We may buy 5330/5340s for our assistant superintendents, but that may be a bit off.

A nice feature with the 5215 and 5212 for classrooms is the speaker phone ability to use during meetings with multiple parties in one room.

actually I would be careful to use the 5212 speaker phone as it's half duplex. in other words if one person is speaking the other one can't hear. the 5224 and higher phones are full duplex. in found in noisy environments that it audio would dissapear coming out of the speaker phone as the background noise going into the speaker phone 'used up the half duplex'

just a note on the 5302's to make this phone seem busy without blanking the auto campon there's a new form in 8.0 UR 3 which you can configure to do just that.

Tried it yesterday and it worked.
Also not a big fan of these phones as we've rolled out over 200 of them. I don't think they're the right phone for this particular office environment.

however horses for courses! the phone was only ever meant as an entry level phone with very basic features, ultimately just dialtone imho.

other issue with this phone is that there's no way to cancel a call already in the process of being transferred. there's a workaround. Also doesn't support accound codes (i'm told it will eventually)

programmable buttons only really limited to voicemail and some user speedcalls, although documentation says conference I haven't been able to get this to work.
The other issue is that when you activate call forward on the phone, you'll get the broken dial tone to indicate an active feature but after replacing the handset and going off hook again, the broken dial tone is gone but the feature is still active. I've tried this with call forward thus far and no other features.

hope this helps

recently upgarded a site to releae 8.0 UR 3. a whole whack of these 5302 phones stopped working....

in the process of getting new ones. NOT a fan of these 5302 phones at all!

Thanks for this info, do you know why they stopped working & cld you get them back working 'normally', I ask because the site where I installed these crappy things are thinking about upgrading to the same release(8UR3)!!! Any info would be appreciated if it saves me a lot of hassle.

still in process of figuring out why these things went belly up.

how many phones are we talking about here?
8.0 UR2 has a bug. has something to do with SIP endpoint devices and abondoned calls, causes the system to 'freeze'. can only recover with reboot.

I'll keep you posted if I learn something new. Interesting how these phones actually work.
I'm going to spend some dedicated time to find out what is happening on these phones. It could well be that there's a network problem causing all my hassles.

thanks

UKMitel,

I can say that a whole bunch of work is being done on these phones to kill the bugs. Account codes are in progress, cancel/retrieve transfered call, 4 sec delay etc.

Does your site have vlans?
What release are you on now and why do you wanna upgrade to release 8.0 UR 3?

Upgraded from UR 2 becuase this release has a bug relating to SIP endpoints and abondoned calls. It froze my controller. Upgrade caused other hassles and I'm led to believe this is not software specific related but rather phone related

will keep you posted. have been active with local Mitel office in getting this ironed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back