Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

509 Remote access PROBLEMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtgroup

Programmer
Aug 26, 2006
US
I am having all kinds of trouble with remote access. I was given the link to Avayas solution to this problem. Using the external modem off of an ext. port into the admin port off the 509. I programmed the modem with the sequence code prvided by Avaya, i also set the extension programming correctly. I programmed the #730 password. My problem is that i can't get the modem to answer when i call the ext. that it is plugged into. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Do you have a remote access card? Is it an AVAYA labeled card as of 2000 or 2002?

It is a 509. I am trying to connect through the admin port. I do have a rac card, but those have not been playing very nice with the 509's.

dial the modem ext number internaly, see if it rings. put an analog phone on it if you have to to check. if it is rining, and the modem will not pick up, thry a different modem.

" I programmed the modem with the sequence code prvided by Avaya"

What is the make and model of the modem, and what is the initialization string that you programmed into the modem.

Avaya's document calls for a US Robotics modem, and an initialization string of at&f0q1e0s0=3&w, as well as some DIP switch changes before and after programming it.

After programming, it should answer on the 3rd ring. If it doesn't, you need to redo the modem programming.

I don't remember if the Partner's admin port successfully raises DTR. If not, it will need to be either forced ON or set to IGNORE. You may have to consult your modem manual, but the usual command is AT&D0 (that's zero at the end) or simply AT&D.

This whole DTR business brings up another question: what are you using for connectors?

The interface on the back of the modem is a DCE. The craft port on the Partner is a DCE as well, which means you need a cross-over or null-modem of sorts. And since the craft port uses the EIA/TIA 561 "RJ-45 serial" connection, you may need to make your own adapter.

Please write back if you aren't making progress. I'll test and give you all the specs on the cable if you need. I'm almost sure this is part of the problem.

You might also consider using a standard 355AF adapter (DB25 Female to RJ-45 Female) with a male-to-male gender changer. That will allow it to slap it right into the back of the modem. Put your RJ-45 to RJ-45 straight cable in the appropriate places and I think you'll have it.

gl20,

I have never had much luck with using the modem as a ext. I can guide you through connecting to the switch from another direction using the RAC if you just want to connect and make changes. I have 158 sites all over the country and can connect to all of them. Let me know what you would like to do.

Thanks

Touch Tone Tommy, I was given a link to some info on how to set this all up.
I followed these instructions and still having problems. I used hyper terminal to program the modem. One question i have is when i am in hyper.. after i type in the program sequence do i hit enter to send it or what, how do i know that the programing was sent? Here is how i have everything set up.
I have the modem plugged into an ext.port on the 509. The ext. is set to no ring and the ** is set to intercom.Out of the modem with a 355A and a straight through cat 5 patch cord into the admin port. When i call the ext. it just keeps ringing and the modem never answers the call.

The fact that the modem doesn't answer after you program it indicates that it isn't programmed correctly. The point of the programming, as Dagwood pointed out, is to force the modem into an "auto answer" mode. The instructions in the newsletter in the link are specific to one brand of modem, and it may be different for yours. Yes, you press Enter to send the string. Download a manual for your modem, you should get a list of the "at" commands, including one that can tell you what its settings are, so you can make sure that they are correct.

Once you get it answering when you call it, you should be good to go.

Fondog2,
My ears are open to any guidence you have to offer. I was told that the 509 won't work with Rac. If you know of a way that they will work please let me know.

Thanks,

ql20

gl20,

Not to step on TTT's toes. He is one of the best on this site. What I suggest you do is purchase another US Robotics modem and install it on the PC you are using to connect to the Partner system. Next make sure you use the most current RAC's with the 509's. The date code on the ones I use are 2004 and they have a funny colored green sticker. I set my password #730. All my systems have Partner Messaging so I set hunt group 6 with ext. 76. I then set one of the selector codes to transfer to 76. So my dial string will look like XXX-XXX-XXXX,,,,,,,,X I use the external modem because the internal modem has a problem talking to the modem on the Partner. Now if you don't have VM then have one of the staff transfer 76 transfer then hang the phone up.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

fondog2,
I am using a brand new U.S. Robotics external modem. I loaded the software on my laptop. I have set my #730. When i try to connect i get the "connected at 38600" screnn but it never prompts me to enter my password. I have a 308 R5 at home that i have been trying to connect to. I plugged the external modem into a phone aux. port. I set the ext. to pick up on the intercom "**". I get connected but never prompt the enter my password. Help!!!!!!!!!!!

gl20,
Do you have a remote access card in this R 5.0 system you are working on? Like I have said I have never had much luck in the direction you are working in. I use the remote access card and dial from my laptop using the US Robotics external modem. It should connect at 14400 and then ask you for your password.

I do have a remote access card installed and configured as needed. I am trying to dial in using an external modem off of my lap top. I do have my internal modem diabled. My external modem is a us robotics also. It shows that i am connected at 38600 but never prompts for the password. Do i need to configure the external modem at all or not? I know that like everything else i am probably missing one little step thats giving me all of these problems. Any other advise?

Thanks,
ql20

gl20,
The dip switch settings on my modem are 1,2,4,6 and 7 up all the rest down. The only thing that is bothering me about your connection is the 38600. Try thathose settings and let me know what happens.

gl20,
One other thing to look at. Goto start, settings, control panel. Then phone and modem, modem, highlight modem com1 and make sure it is the external modem, properties, modem and see if the maximum port speed is set. Mine is set to 115200.

The 38,600 connect speed is a red herring. The rate which modems connect is INDEPENDENT of the DTE rate (the speed going out the computer's serial interface). You can successfully connect at 38,600 bits per second, yet still be talking to a craft port at 9600 bps.

I'm with fondog2 on this...I think there's something going on in the rate-adaption process. Please review the settings he has suggested in detail before giving it a whirl. Also, the suggestion about strapping your PC communications port down to 115200 (in Control Panel) may also reduce the modem handshake time.

If you still can't get it to work, load up Hyperterminal (Partner Administration must be closed) and send your modem an AT&V1 command. Post the results here.

I set up as fondog2 suggested, i got connected at 14400 but still never got prompt for a password.

I entered the command at&v1 in hyper terminal and got a response of ERROR. What should i try next?

thanks,
ql20

Guess what? I just ran into the very same problem this afternoon. I couldn't connect to that stupid modem come hell or high water.

I had the user reboot the switch twice after receeding and reinserting the RAC. No dice. Then just for fun, I had the customer move the Remote Access card to the second PCMCIA slot. It worked and I don't understand why.

I'd like to hear from one of the old-timers here. What's the real story on this? There seems to be a number of unresolved threads covering remote access on a Partner. Is the cause a batch of bad modems, PCM slots or just another "undocumented feature" of the Partner?

The flyer that comes with the cards instructs us to "hold it with the label facing to the right, and slide it gently into one of the PC Card slots on the processor module." Sounds like the slot isn't supposed to matter.

My apologies to ql20 on the AT command...I hadn't done my homework on the US Robotics specifically. You need to slide dip switch #3 and #8 to the down position (#8 should already be down) and send your modem an ATI5 [aye tee eye five] command.

But try that Slot #2 thing. I'm thinking that my case was just an anomaly, but you never know.

gl20 and Dagwoodsystems,
I have heard of the slot two problem before. But it had to do with a standard back up and restore in the first slot. gl20 I would try what Dagwoodsystems did and see what happens. If it doesn't work then I would trouble shoot the rac by using another processor that you have dialed in to. If the card works then I would suspect that the processor slots have a problem. Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back