Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

506e and clearing config

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksb101

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
US
I have found the commands for clearing the config on a 506e, during my search, I have read that clearing config will wipe out activation key. Is this true?
I bought this device used and would like to clear it and start from scratch instead of trying to muddle and clear someone else's entries.
I guess I can just copy the startup and running and activation key before clearing?
Most of my limited experience has been with routers and switches, trying to branch out for my job a little bit.

Any help is appreciated

Mark

Using this command
configure factory-default

only erases the running config and replaces it with the default. It leaves activation keys and software versions alone.

You can/should copy the activation key from here
show version

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

tried configure factory-default, it produces a watchdog error and reboots, tried clear configure all, reboots but does not clear startup-config or running-config

What OS version? Have you tried
write erase

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

Its 6.2(2), but the write erase command and reboot command cleared the config.

Thanks,

mark

Glad it worked.

Brent
CCNP, CCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back