Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

500 Internal Server error missing details from log file

Status
Not open for further replies.

k8277

Programmer
Jan 10, 2003
US
IIS 6.0

Last week a page on my classic asp site started producing frequent 500 errors. The iis log file contains the error, however it is missing the detailed data of where the error occurred and why. It has the page and the 500 error, but doesn't tell me on what line and why the error occurred.

Also, as far as I can tell, the page is still working as I have not had any complaints from users. This page is part of the login process and is does not produce any user output, just some code that runs and then redirects to the welcome page. I can tell from the logs that they are getting logged in ok and using the site.

The logs will only indicate an error occured.

Create a custom 500 page and generate an email or database entry with the details when one occurs.

Custom 500 page

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Chris, thanks.

Why is it that sometimes the iis log file contains the problem (line number from the page and details), but not always?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back