Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

50% Packet Loss over Primary and Redundany IPSI 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppenning

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2005
US
Good Day,
We have a strange situation on our 8710 with a G-650 in a remote location. Both remote IPSI's are failing every other ping and our networking group is telling us that both IPSI's show a 50% packet loss.

We can ping both IPSI's with no problems from a workstation. Only when you ping from the local server (In this case it is an ESS 8500)

We are running 3.0 with all of the patches and the IPSI's are all up to date with Firmware...
Can anyone think of why this might happen? Is there any other information you need?

Thanks,
Perry

What is the hardware version of the IPSI's. I remember reading that some versions had some problems.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
(Plato)

We are using HW12...
When we asked our Avaya Partner, they tested and got the same result...

Avaya's exact words (And I mean the three engineers we spoke to at separate times said word for word the same thing) "Hmmm... That shouldn't happen... Sounds like you have a problem..."

It doesn't appear to be service affecting but there's just something not fundamentally right about 50% loss...

Thanks,
Perry

ppenning,

what are you using as a lan switch to connect ess and both ipsis? did you check speed/duplex settings on ess and ipsis? can you ping ipsis from primary server, do packets go all right or there's packet loss over the link?

We are hard set at 100 / Full. Packets go fine from PC to IPSI and Packets go fine from Linux shell to IPSI. But when you 'ping ip-address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx repeat 6 times' from the terminal emulator or from ASA you get packet loss on every other reply.

Our Avaya Partener was able to duplicate the problem and is addressing it directly with Avaya... It's a strange one...

Thanks,
Perry

We get the exact same thing. And thats running the ping from a CLAN to an IPSI in the same port network connected to the same network switch?!

Interestingly enough.... Avaya says this is normal... Hmmm... I am baffled...

Quick question, are you prioritizing the IPSI traffic? It is critical you prioritize the signaling traffic on the LAN. I bet you that could be a reason for your problems. Let us know.

TBG

You know I never thought of that...
I am going to get with our Network folks and see if this is the case...

Thanks!
Perry

This sounds like your DOS filter is doing this. I have noticed that if the DOS filter is set to 0xFFFFFFFF, then pinging can produce these types of results. Typically, you will want to leave it alone. However, if you set the DOS filter to 0x00000000, then it should respond to all ICMP requests. To set this, you must log into the IPSI, and issue the command set dosfilter 0x00000000. Again, I would recommend keeping the DOS filter set at 0xFFFFFFFF to prevent possible DOS attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back