Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

50 micron MM to 50 micron SM 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoIPFANATIC

Technical User
Sep 10, 2007
US
what would happen if patching 50 micron mm to 50 micron sm?

High lose? I suggested not to do it.

I am not sure, but then I have never seen SM except in 9nm. I suspect there is no 50nm SM. Sorry.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

yeah my mistake.

i meant.

what about patching 50 micron mm to 62.5 mm?

what about patching 9 micron sm to 50 micron mm?

just some thoughts.

thanks jimbo.

my reseach indicates its likely to work with higher loss, at shorter distance with less reliablity.

patching 50 mic to 62.5 mic is workable, short term. you will definately see sifnificant loss. for a low end network connection, it might be fine for a little while. once you get into voip or gigabit apps, you are asking for trouble.

i wouldn't try sm to mm under any circumstances. i've heard that with some patience you can actually splice them together, but i have never tried, nor would i want to. it would be a one way street for jumpers: sm to mm might work, but the reverse would not be true. it's all about the signal source and size of the glass (9m vs 62.5).

what are you looking to use it for??

they" are trying to trunk access switches to distribution switches. i believe at a 1 gig. they have a mixture or 62.5 mm and 50 mm back bone and jumpers. things arent labeled properly and some fiber cables have no size designation.

as long as it is going between equipment (and the equipment is set up for it), it should be fine. It is the direct connections via patch panels that wouldn't well, if at all. check the specs on the equipment if you can to see what it will take, and put out. in most of these situations that i've ever seen, they had a fiber switch to take a WAN or trunk sm, and multiple mm legs for LAN distribution.
the 50 mic is there as they added on to an existing backbone, or a contractor just got cheap. hopefully your jumpers are labeled, because that might give you some problems: 62.5 patch panel to 50 jumper and vice versa.
the unmarked cables, well, good luck. sometimes manufactures put the fiber type on the connectors, so you may want to check in the panel. if they have any markings at all, or color for interior, put it on here. i may have seen it before. they are probably older though, cuz they almost always put everything on the outside of newer cables.

hope this helps. fiber can get tricky.

old government installation.

i need to go back and identify what was actually patched now that the maintenance is over and take a look.

if you have any q's after taking another look at it, let me know. see what help i can be. good luck.

what about patching 50 micron mm to 62.5 mm?"

It has worked for me with no problem. I usually only have two transitions.

62.5-switch->62.5-patch-62.5->50--long cable--50->62.5-patch->62.5-switch

"what about patching 9 micron sm to 50 micron mm?"

I don't have any single mode experience but I have seen media converters to do SM->MM and MM->SM.

thanks resort tech

wires what type of gbics were you using?

"what about patching 9 micron sm to 50 micron mm?"

Picture 2 highways: a single super high speed meeting a 5 lane high speed and then going back to a single super-highway.

The 9M is the single lane and is connected to the 50M highway. It will work with some loss reflection at the connector in. The 50M going into the 9M will result in a huge loss of light at the connector out.

"The answer is 42"

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

Patching from 50m to 62.5m will work. You'll have little to no loss when the transmitting direction is going from 50 to 62.5. But when the transmitting direction is 62.5 to 50, you have up to 9db of loss, depending on many factors of both cable types. The length will be your over all biggest factor as it will probably be your largest loss in the link (except for the 50/62.5 convert) so if you've got a lot of budget, and not much cable loss, you should be fine.
Because of some poor planning on my part, I had to do a great deal of this here recently. And fortunately it didn't come back to bite me.

As for SM/MM, as straight up patch cord won't work period. They have such and animal call a "mode conditioning" patch cord. If I remember right, it's meant to use a multimode source on a single mode cable. But at $300 a piece for a 3 meter patch cord, I'd rather get a singlemode source.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

these guys are using whatever patch the have. some of which have no dust caps. these connections are working and I think they are going 50 to 62.5.

great info thanks a bunch. a star for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back