Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5 Pin to 6 Pin PS2 Keyboard converter difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psyke

Technical User
Nov 11, 2004
CA
Hi Guys.

I've got an older style 5 Mini Pin Keyboard, (It's like 14-15 years old..) anyways, just for the sake of trying i bought a 5 Pin to 6 Pin PS2 Keyboard converter, in hopes of getting it working on my Pc.

But its giving me grief..It picks up the keyboard when i start up the pc (the lock keys (Num,Caps,Scroll), Flash Green)

But during the Post, the computer begins to beep continously, 1 LOOONNNNNGG beep, then again 1 Loonnnnng Beep... Sounds sort of like there's a key stuck.. But dosen't appear so.

Anyways, it lets me get to the login screen (Windows XP),

But the keyboard AND mouse (Both PS2) are both not functional at this point... If i disconnect the keyboard converter, and attach a different keyboard (Normal PS2), everything works fine.

So... am i out of luck here? Is there anything i can do to get this converter to work? Or is it more likely the keyboard is just too Old?

Any ideas/replies are welcome.

Thanks.

Sounds like your keyboard is just too old. I'd just break the bank for $15 on a new keyboard. Another thing you can try is one of them PS2 to USB converters and see if it still gives you problems.

Check underneath for the possibility of a PC/AT switch. Could be a switchable one.
You could also hold it upside down and shake. Trash can get inside and short stuff.
Otherwise replace.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Mon0L1th - $15 for a new keyboard isn't an issue at all, i have a TON of extra keyboards lying around. I just wanted to see if i could get this working.

Edfair - Check underneath what? The keyboard? What would this PC/AT switch look like?

Also, would a BIOS update possibly help this situation?

Would look like a small slide switch. Sove were hidden under the adjustable feet. Might have a hole in the bottom cover of the keyboard, others had just the slide portion visible. But all that I've ever seen had the PC and AT markings.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back