Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5 digit extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

1000M

Technical User
Mar 17, 2005
US
I am getting an error when trying to add a 5 digit extension number. I thought I'd try this to prevent duplicate rollovers in an attempt to network all my sites with 4 digit dialing. I'm getting SCH 0371 which is a "shorte DN exists", do I have to use a complete range that is not currently being used in order to do this?

Most likely there is a conflict. Say, for example, your DID range is 7000-7149 and you have extension 7098. You can give it a rollover of 27098 as long as your 2000 series is not assigned elsewhere. You cannot use 70981.

Check stuff like cdp's etc. Sometimes people get lazy and add a cdp of 70. Check for stuff like that and go for there. ALso do a dnb like
prt
dnb
dn ONE digit instead of 4.

There is a DN that matches the first 4 digit's of your 5 digit DN that you want to use. Give the 5 digit number a new 1st digit and the same last 4 digits of the exisiting Ext DN.

no you don't need a range

are all good dn's, 4991 and 49911, would give the code you printed. i changed all my acod's and any number that users don't dial to 7 digit to get a few did's back. with 10K did's any number you burn is a did

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

If I am going to be networking 16 location for internal dialing, should I just use two digit steering codes? Or location codes? I'm trying to keep their dialing to a minimum or I guess it would defeat the purpose of being able to dial a extension instead of the whole 10 digit number.

With 16 locations may be dificult depending on extension ranges at each site. We use cdp, dsc codes. Look at LUDN to see what number ranges are available at each site.

not usually that bad, i hate doing it that way, but you can give each site a 2 digit number, but that is also a problem because you would need the same 2 digit number for each site, and publish the site "number" in the directory.. for site a 21 plus the exten.. how many stations are you working with?

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Not many, 1500 here an the main site, 125 at two other and then maybe 10-15 at the last 13.

with this total number of extensions, you can use 4 digit for all network and use the firts two digit for localitation. Follow the John recomendation and use for example
2xxx-3xxx for the main site
40xx second site
46xx third site
50xx 4th
51xx 5th

etc,

This is only one recomendation. If you prefer work with more digit this is your desicion

Javier

the big problem with that can be the did;s not matching the ext number. without did i would go that way, but add all the steering codes, because people will move station 2001 to the 6000 switch, unless you own the company

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

mcr's do free up key 0 rollover ext's. we have 10K did's so i use mcrs to avoid burning did's for extra lines. i am going to 5 digit soon. because my leading digit will be a 4, i will have to delete all numbers in my switch begining with 4, before i can use it as a 1st digit. all numbers 4000 thru 4999, are in use. delete those then start with 1000, make it 41000, the old ext 4000 will be 44000.. major job in a large switch but we only have 600 or so dn's left. to make that happen, i will split the cores, modify the offline for 2 weeks, have the co send 5 digits and switch into the 5 digit cpu.. test, if i didn't miss anything, sync my cores, go to the house, bill the cust 100K...not bad work if you can get it.. to bad the $ goes to the guys with the ties

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back