Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.1 to 6.3 on a 520

Status
Not open for further replies.

foobad

MIS
Jul 18, 2003
US
Howdy, I was thinking about upgrading a 520 pix with 5.1 to 6.3. I checked the requirements and the unit is up to spec for running 6.3. However, I have never upgraded a unit from 5 to 6 and need to know if there are any gotchas?

Do I go from 5.1 directly to 6.3 or load an intermediate version?

Do I need to worry about any settings being lost?

thanks in advance gang

Only real change that I know if is if you're using conduits, you should move to access-list based setup..

BuckWeet

The install went great. Yes, some things did break. But they were broken apparently to begin with. The 6.3 sanity checker did a good job. The firewall kept functioning correctly though since the broken things didnt affect its normal operation.

Then, pdm 3 was loaded. PDM helped fix even more problems in the firewall config. I'm really impressed. This firewall had 3 past admins worth of kruft on it, and just updating the flash and installing pdm helped elimnate some of it.

And of course, pdm made it so easy to combine some old access-list commands into one and simplify the config.

can i get the version 6.3.2? can you send it to me? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back