Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.0 server install hangs at NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johann35

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2001
US
Hello,
I am working on the CNA and using the three user demo to install the server software. This does not auto-detect my NIC card so trying to install off the list and CD and also the floppy does not work. The driver fails to load and installation will not continue. I tried two different network cards and neither has worked.

Thanks

There is a TID that souns similar to your problem.

Go to http;//wupport.novell.com and search for TID number 2942647.

Hope this helps

Regards

Steve

Thanks for replying, I have tried both a Trendnet 10/100 card and a Netgear FA311 with no luck. The Novell site has an answer for using a 3com card only with this problem.

When you are installing and it asks you to load additional drivers, you need to hit 'insert' and point the install to the full path of where your drivers are. Most NIC card manufacturers nest their drivers down 2 or 3 levels. ( I just looked up the info for your NetGear FA311 card, and when it asks for an install path, you need to type

a:\netware\server\nw50

this is assuming that you are using the 'f311v130.exe'
driver file downloaded from their website. )

Let me know if that solves the problem. If not, if you
get a chance (and I know this sounds tedious), write down
each action that you take up and until the point of failure. This will help to troubleshoot further, but right now it sounds like a path issue.

-Mike

Michael A. Dontato MCNE, MCSE, CCA
mdonato@site-technologies.com

I ran into this several times before. What I did, and it makes no sense at all why this works, was to leave the drive blank. Netware says you have to have one, and puts you back at installation screen. At this point, give it the driver. This has happened to me on 4 separate servers. Three of them with 3com 3c905c cards, and one with a digital dec21140 card. I have no explanation, it just worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back