Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.0.7 upgrade: scsi tape disappeared!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickbit

MIS
Dec 18, 2002
CA
Bizarre!

After straight upgrade from 5.0.6 to 5.0.7, my only scsi tape device which was on ad160 adaptor=1 (not 0), id=2 does not work.
the devices rStp0, nrStp0 etc. exists in /dev,
mkdev tape does not see the device but when i try to add a new one with the correct parameters, it refuses to create it and tells me that it exists but doesn't display it on option 6!

I tried to remove it by selecting the nonexistant device number 0 and it prompted me if i wanted to completely remove the correct device (i guess it saw it then) on which i've answered yes and the program removed it.

I rebooted, then tried to recreate it and tells me that the device exists and refuses to proceed!!! It still does not show on the display and now the devices are nonexistant in /dev.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you found the solution?
I've just upgrade a box and have the same problem!
Antonio

I had this problem and my solutions was a this;

First, on the 5.0.5 or 5.0.6 system, I removed the tape drive with 'mkdev tape'. Relinked the kernel and rebooted. I performed the upgrade with the new "tapeless kernel". After the upgrade, I ran mkdev tape and everything worked perfect after that.

Hi!

I've found out what the problem was: the client was booting from unix.old !!! and whatever i was doing had no consequences... We really have to look out for the smallest details.. Thanks gang!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back