Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

5.0.10 NAMES ON 5.0.7 SERVER

Status
Not open for further replies.

awskent

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2001
AU

Strange yeah I know, I have three servers which I want to upgrade to 5.0.10. The problem is I am very particular about the names.nsf, it has been updated from 4.6 to 5.0.5 to 5.0.7 and I want to start fresh.

Has anybody had any problems with running a newer public address book on an older server, has anyone done it before?

I have now done this, and it worked fine.

Technically, there is no real difference in the NSF file itself within R5. As the decimal version changes, there are new forms or agents added to the templage, which upgrades names.nsf. Should you run a 5.0.10 on a 5.0.3 they are both ODS41 compliant file structures. There is a form in the 5.0.10 version that will invisible to 5.0.3, yet it still functions as the directory just fine.

One of my more speedy mistakes was to replace the design of Names.nsf with the mail50.ntf. A simple replace design back to the directory template undid without missing a beat.
I tell people I never got good at this stuff because it worked!

Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back