Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4GB shows up as 1.99GB?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsloan

Technical User
May 26, 2003
US
I am running an emachine (win98) that came with 4 GB of disk space,at one time this used to show up as 4 GB on the properties and could hold that amount of space,after the last couple of reboots I have had no luck in getting that 2 GBs back ,it now shows up as 1.99GB and can only hold that much space,ive held through with this for quite awhile now but it seems silly knowing I could install larger files and not have to worry about deleting everything. Ive herd you can do something with FDISK but am uncertain how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated
:)
-Sloan

Your post is not clear. Have you done anytjhing to the machine since the drive showed as 4GB? (eg, reinstalled windows?). Because it sounds like you've used fdisk WITHOUT large disk support - which means it will use FAT16 not FAT32 filestore. FAT16 has maximum partition size of 2GB. If this is so, you'll need to backup, and start again (boot from win98 boot floppy, use fdisk (with large disk support - type Y in the box when prompted) to remove existing partition and create new one (which should take up whole drive). Unless you've got partition magic - in which case use it.

I agree with wolluf. You would need to delete the partition and then recreate it with FAT32 support. If you want to use FDISK then here is all the info you could want:

It looks like you partitioned the hdd and loaded windows afresh. If so you need to repartition with fdisk from a win98 startup diskette. allow large disk support. if the whole size shows, then you should be happy, now make it active , format and load win98.

thank you for your replies,i have fdisked without large disk support in the past,i understand what i did wrong but now it seems pretty clear, I'll try what you guys said
thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back