Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4800G IRF Stacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
I'm starting to use the 4800 series more in my job now but previously my knowledge of XRN has applied to 4500 and 5500 switches and it's never caused me any issues.

I note that the stack configuration is different on the 4800, but what is strange is that if I try to type anything to do with IRF, I see nothing at all. If I simply do "?" at the command line (in system view), I see nothing about IRF or XRN. I also don't see anything in the web interface.

Here is a dis ver from one unit:

[4800G]dis ver
3Com Corporation
Switch 4800G PWR 24-Port Software Version 5.20 Release 2102P02
Copyright (c) 2004-2008 3Com Corp. and its licensors. All rights reserved.
Switch 4800G PWR 24-Port uptime is 2 weeks, 0 day, 21 hours, 10 minutes

Switch 4800G PWR 24-Port with 1 Processor
256M bytes SDRAM
32768K bytes Flash Memory

Hardware Version is REV.C
CPLD Version is 002
Bootrom Version is 604
[SubSlot 0] 24GE+4SFP+POE Hardware Version is REV.C
[SubSlot 1] 2 CX4 Hardware Version is REV.A
[SubSlot 2] 1 XFP Hardware Version is REV.B

And a dis ver from the other:

<Top End 4800G Unit-2>sys
System View: return to User View with Ctrl+Z.
[Top End 4800G Unit-2]dis ver
3Com Corporation
Switch 4800G PWR 24-Port Software Version 5.20 Release 2102P02
Copyright (c) 2004-2008 3Com Corp. and its licensors. All rights reserved.
Switch 4800G PWR 24-Port uptime is 2 weeks, 0 day, 21 hours, 45 minutes

Switch 4800G PWR 24-Port with 1 Processor
256M bytes SDRAM
32768K bytes Flash Memory

Hardware Version is REV.C
CPLD Version is 002
Bootrom Version is 604
[SubSlot 0] 24GE+4SFP+POE Hardware Version is REV.C
[SubSlot 1] 2 CX4 Hardware Version is REV.A
[SubSlot 2] 1 XFP Hardware Version is REV.B

As can be seen, both units are fitted with 2 x 10GE CX4 modules and are showing as active for both units on the web interface. This switch is a remote device so I can't look at the back panel.

Perhaps I'm just missing something obvious? Until now the only 4800 installs I have done have been single units so no stacking. However I have looked at the documenation and from system view I should be able to do for example "irf member..."

I also note however that it does mention that before configuring the units that you have to bind the physical stack port to a logical one....but I can't see in the documentation how to do this.

It also says that simply powering off the units, cabling the CX4 modules and rebooting should automatically stack the units, but this has been tried and didn't work.

Another thing...with XRN on the 5500 there were 3 pre-reqs:

- Same software version
- Same system name
- Same switch family

I don't see anything about sysname for the 4800, so is this still a requirement?

Would certainly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Just thought I would update this following a bit of digging.

Looking at the version history in the release notes for a later version of the software, I can see that "S4800G-CMW520-R2102P02" - Which I presume is 2102P02 - was release 12/12/2008.

The most recent version on the list is S4800G-CMW520-F2206L06 - released April 2010.

There were many other releases between the current one and 2102P02...so perhaps the cause of the problems I am experiencing is that the software version is just far too early.

It's odd because this is a fairly recent purcahse...but I guess the first job is to get it to the latest version.

Would be interesting to hear if anybody else has came accross this.

You are correct when the 4800g where released they didnt support the stacking, until a later software version was release.

We pushed out 40ish 4800G late last year and all the ones we where stacking had to be upgraded to the lastest software release to support the stacking of the switches.

Right, I had 2 4800G's shipped to my office and upgraded the software and this enabled the IRF functionality. I have to say I prefer the setup process on the 5500! But never mind, I have it now.

However one thing that is strange is that I was expecting interfaces 2/0/x to copy from 1/o/x (or at least retain default config!) but instead all I see is:

Gigabit Ethernet 1/0/1
#
Gigabit Ethernet 1/0/2
#

etc

This isn't too much of an issue in itself but I cannot seem to find my precious "copy-config" command on the 4800? Does anybody know what the command is on this switch?

Also I notice that the nice default QoS profiles that you got on the 5500 don't seem to exist on the 4800...

Any input appreciated.

Generally the switch will just have the default settings against each port until they are configured, as far as im aware they wont copy from 1/0/x to 2/0/1.

there is a copy command if you want to copy things to and from flash and tftp doesnt work in system mode though

You can always edit the config in notepad/text editor to what you want it to be then upload it to the switch.

I guess notepad is the way then. I must say I am really quite shocked that the copy config command isn't available on this unit. Will be a lot more work to set up than previously.

I'm sure once it's all set up I will have a lot of love for the 4800 but right now I think I'm going to miss setting up 5500 stacks!

Hi Merrym,

I also noticed that the latest release as per the documenation is newer than what is available in the downloads section for the 4800G on the 3Com website.

I have upgraded all our units to 5.20-R2202P15 for the time being.

answer from 3com:

"There is an F2206 release of code, but this is currently restricted to specific customers with special requirements (The F stands for ?Feature code? ? i.e. code including new software features that are still being evaluated/tested). When the software is ready for general release it will be made available on a public download site (3Com or HP)."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back