Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

48 port switch reccommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
Im looking into upgrading the swtiches here because the rack is completely full and its down to the fact that the original suppliers thought it would be a good idea to install 3 16 port switches, and an 8 port gigabit switch, instead of just one 48 port with either 2 or 4 gigabit ports.

F for effort on future proofing for them!

Anyway, I have been looking at 3 switches

Linksys SRW248G4

Netgear FS750T2

DLink DES 1250G

Just wondering if anybody has real experience with any of these switches. Looking for easy set up and easy manageability.

From the features, I see the Linksys probably boasts the most features but I dont have much experience in the reliability of Linksys kit!

Many thanks.

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

Hi Cyberspace

Sorry I dont have experience with any of the models you quoted, however Linksys kit is v reliable I have a router which has worked without a blip for years now. Of the 3 manufacturers the only 1 I try to avoid is D-Link their after sales service is diabolical, trying to place a call to return faulty kit with them is like pulling teeth.

From my experience I would pick the Linksys.

Nogs

Please also note that with these switches (I assume you are looking at these because of pricing (cheap)), they will nto have good buffering or CPU speeds. Keep this in mind as utilising these switches for high usage users (constant file transferring) may not be a good idea.

We are currently replacing our netgear switches with Cisco because of the reason given above. In my opinion (and only my opinion) if money is not too important are:-

Cisco
Extreme
Juniper

would always recommend cisco if you can afford !

Laters, phat, headshape

Thanks for the tips so far.

Just a small business with 29 PCs and no high-throughput requirements (mainly just word, excel, email and such like) so absolutley no justification for cisco kit unfortunatley lol

The current switches are unmanaged, cheapo 16 port jobs...performance wise they are fine for the needs of the business so im sure cpu/buffering won't be a problem - im sure also that the ones I have mentioned are better than the current units in that respect!

I've felt the wrath of netgears aftersales service....

Think the Linksys will be the top of the list.

thanks!

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

I know that you haven't listed any HP products but I'll throw in my tuppence. We've been using a modular ProCurve switch for 3/4 years now, it's performance & pricing is decent and you can throw in 24 port/gigabit/fibre modules at will without having to worry about bottlenecks should you expand.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back