Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4700 router

Status
Not open for further replies.

icklemikey

Technical User
Aug 3, 2003
GB
Hi,

Can someone help I'm doing my head in trying to work this out?

The problem is I'm trying to route between 3 networks on a NP-6e for a 4700.

The NP-4E is setup with the following:

eth5:
IP address: 192.168.253.254
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

eth4:
IP address: 192.168.254.254

eth0:
IP address: 172.16.5.254

I'm basically trying to route from the 172.16.5.0 network to the see 192.168.254.0 and 192.168.253.0 networks?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Mike

make sure you have the 'ip routing' command?

also do a 'show ip route' and check to make sure they're in the routing table

BuckWeet

Hi BuckWeet,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I did have ip routing enabled.

I've sorted the problem now by using RIP version 2, it's working a treat.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Using a routing protocol is one way to lick it. Although if you don't want the over head RIP 2 will create (I think it's a broadcast every 30 seconds by default). IP route statments will work too. You could put in a statement: ip route 172.16.5.0 255.255.255.0 ethernet 4/0 This basically says route network 172.16.5.0 out to ethernet interface 4/0. Depending on your IOS you might have to put in 255.255.0.0 as your mask. You would have to put multibale static routes in for what you are trying to do, but you won't get the overhead on the processor.
You could also us IP address 192.168.254.254 in place of "interface 4/0". However, if your network is not going to get much more complicated and you are not suffering from the overhead, then just continue to use RIP v2. If you think your going to grow overtime, I would suggest ditching both the RIP and static routes and go with a more expandable protocol such as OSPF.

But you shouldn't have to do anything of that, they're all directly connected interfaces.. They show up in the routing table automatically...

BuckWeet

Thanks again for the quick post.

I've been considering OSPF as a replacement to RIP v2 as RIP seems to be limited to 15 hops but my network isn't that big (hey who do you know with a network that big in a normal home?) and seems to update the routing tables every 30 seconds.

I did also read in the Cisco "Protocols and the Network" book that the routing tables can be out of date when they are updated as they are can be updated via different links (this only appears to be on massive networks with some slow links between certains routes).

Anyway I'm happy with RIP v2 and will consider OSPF but I'm not sure if my other non-Cisco routers support it, I know they support RIP and RIP v2 but I'll have to look into it (I would consider dumping them in favor of a Cisco 3620 with WIC card but it's finding them cheap enough).

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

as buckweet said... these interfaces are all directly connected networks and you don't need any routing. as long as your workstations gateway is set correctly to get back to the router it should be fine for all 3 of those networks.... you do not need the static routes either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back