Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

46xx phones and Avaya/Plantronics AWH-55 Headsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

gknight1

Programmer
Jul 27, 2006
US
I have a small call center with around 350 seats, everyone has 4621 and 4610 phones. Everyone has a Avaya/Plantronics AWH-55 Headset connnected to there phone using the EU24 port and the headset button. Sometimes when they press the headset button to answer the call, it will light the headset light, connect the call and then hang up the call. This is randomly happening on all most all of the phones. Any ideas?

Are you using a lifter assembly with the handset?

Sometimes the gear will strip out and when the phone goes off hook and drops down just enough to engage the flash hook
disconnecting the call.

no, the AWH-55 does not require the lifter assembly, when using the EU24 port. The AWH-55 has an internal hook switch, therefore the lifter is not needed. Good guess

I have the same problem as well. I have found that if I press the button on the headset, it doesn't happen...

gblucas

yes i was scared you would say that, thats what i am thinking it is. half of the call center receives calls via force feed and a zip tone and the call automatically connects, so as a whole they were all taught to leave the headset on and use the button.

Unplug the power to the base of the headset and leave it unpluged for the 10 sec rule then plug the power back in. the key is to make sure all of the cables are pluged into the phone still. meaning the EU24 cable and such. what happens is if you move the phone are change something out the AWH loses it config. Its kind of a reset on the AWH and it goes and checks out whats plugged in and such. try it and let me know.

Has any found a fix for this?

I have 4622's and the AWH-55's using the EU-24 port and we are dropping calls like crazy.

In my experience I have noticed more often than not its due to the agent picking up to fast. If the phone rings for a few times there is less chance, it seems, of the phone picking up and then immediately hanging up, dropping our customer.

I figured we'll press the call appearance button instead, but the one-way speaker phone of the 4622's would got off-hook not the headset.

I installed IP Agent in the IP Phone control mode, but when you click answer on the incoming call, the one-way speaker phone of the 4622's would got off-hook not the headset. In both cases you still had to press the headset button on the phone or headset.

It works pretty good if you just use the button on the headset, but agents were complaining that it was hurting there ear pressing it a hundred times all day.

I thought about using the headsets in auto-answer mode, but I really want to do this only as a last resort. Because in this mode the headsets will have to remain on all day with the radio link up and active, burning away the battery.

Side note: I have also had to force all the agents in to a 1 second after-call mode, to allow the headset enough time to hangup. I had to do this because the system would send another caller to the agent without waiting for the headset to disconnect. (Auto-answer is not enabled) The agent would some times catch it, and would process the call, other times they would just hit the hangup button, dropping the new caller with out realizing a new caller was on the line. This happened at random times to random agents. The 1-2 second after-call work force fixed that problem. Still a dirty hack though.

It just seems like there is some limitations when using the 4622 and awh-55 wireless headsets, and it sounds like it extends to the other 46xx phones as well.

I have spent allot of time on this and have even when up the channels of opening tickets, just to have Plantronics and AVAYA blame each other. I used our business partner to get in touch with an AVAYA PM to have them come back and tell me "Its working as designed."

I would love to hear if anyone has had success with using the AWH-55s with 4622s without using auto-answer.

I am now entertaining IPAgent with wired headsets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back