Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4621sw now not connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog1175

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2007
US
I have a 4621sw that used to work correctly then all of sudden, after going thru all initializations(it downloads 46xx....txt,xxxx.bin) then just get Discover (IP address of IPO). We are running v3.2.69

I'll be the 1st to ask... Did something on the network change?

No I have 4 other 4621's working just fine.

sure the customer hasnt messed with it?

I would hit * to Programm when it asks you and go through the settings, or are they getting settings from dhcp?

The settings come from DHCP I have tried hooking up another 4621 with the same result.

Then something on that leg of the network or that switch has been changed/gone wrong as "Discover" is an indication of the phone being unable to see the system for whatever reason, but nearly always network related :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

sounds like you're getting ethernet OK, but that part of the ether.. isn't joined to the ..net
so to speak.
Is it connected via a PoE injector or PoE switch?
are other devices on the switch still able to ping the IPO?
Can you ping the IPO OK from same switch port?
If on injector, is lead from wall to injector or switch to injector OK?

there aren't multiple DHCP's running or somehting silly?
Does the DHCP/ DC show an Avaya MAC address as being given a valid address?
I've had older IP phones happy to run on older firmware until one day, nup... no more! firmware needing upgrade.
have also had IP phones with really mucked up numbers randomly.
maybe caused by interference from electric rail service running very close to their building or affecting their power we suspect? have had phones that worked perfectly on other parts of the site moved to there and vice versa, and the IP address details randomly turn to crap.
Only happens in that geographic location. anyone had similar? same symptom, Discover....

You could check one of the 4 other phones you say are working and verify all the settings. Then try to unplug one and see if it will come back up.. That would narrow the problem down..
Are these phones VPN phones are just IP?

There was a issue awhile back( Not sure how far. About trial licenses working for 180 days on VPN phones then you needed to force them to use a licenses..

Thanks for all your input. It seems that the firmware for 4621sw that comes with 3.2.69 doesn't play well with H323 security inspection on Sonicwall NSA appliances. So after tracing packets and snooping for days and days it came down to the fact the H323 transformation setting on the Sonicwall was dropping all the packets that the IP406 was sending. Just FYI in case anyone out there runs in to this and YES by Default H323 inspection is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back