Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4621 with no dial tone. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo9

Technical User
Feb 11, 2004
US
I have a 4621 on a R11 G3si aliased as a 4620. It will find the dhcp server and get an address, connect to the TFTP server and update software, get the station information from the switch and the phone appears to operate (push a line appearance and the speaker comes on, busy indicators work, etc). But, there is not dial tone, you cannot dial a number, and it does not ring. I am sure we have missed something simple and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Bo9,

i guess the most likely reason is that the system doesn't know which network region this phone belongs to. run 'list trace station' on this extension and if you see "no bandwidth" denial event, that's square on. do 'change ip-network-map' and assign some network region to a dhcp range that includes this phone's ip address. if you're sure that it's just one phone and it always will get the same address from dhcp server, you can assign a region to this particular ip address but it's always better to think ahead and define a whole pool to avoid problems in future.

From the description, it sounds as if the phone has successfully registered. Has it reached/passed the point of asking for ext# and password? Is it behaving normally with no audio?

Are there other devices on the respective ip-network-region that function normally?

There could be many possibilities as to the cause of your problem....ip-codec set, admin of the medpro and c-lan, etc....more info please. Venturing a guess, I think you're getting signaling but no audio, so that would point to the medpro...how about this, can you call another ip phone in the same network region? You should have an ip-direct call with does not require a medpro resource....

Got them working, the IP range we were using was not yet defined in the ip-network-map...

Thanks for the response.

Bo9,

whad did i tell you? :) the commonest mistake, i think. maybe worth a faq...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back