Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4621 VPN phone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSTECH

Vendor
May 9, 2008
US
IP office 5.0.18. I had a weird issue with 3 4610 VPN phones show System Incompibilty on them.

These phones have been working for about 2 years. I have 3 licenses for them but (all valid)they were not using them.

I programed the 46VPNsettings.txt file with SET SBLIC 1 command ( Don't have the exact string in front of me right now but did put correct string in.)so it forces it to use licenses

I tried unplugging and plugging them back in.
I tried Mute reset
I upgrade the firmware.

The only thing that seem to get these to work again is to do a MUTE Clear.. Then reprogram all the values.

My questions are

1. How do the 4620 work without using a license. I know there was an 180 day trail feature but these are well over that.

2. What is the difference between a MUTE RESET and a MUTE CLEAR. Don't they do the same thing.. I needed to reprogram the phones with same values after each??

3. if there was a network issue Shouldn't these phone come up on there own even after issue is resolved?

Any insight is appreciated

I have seen a lot of 46xx phones do this for some reason. usually a reload of the VPN files will clear it but usually it comes back

Kevin Wing
ACSS Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) Communications
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I was of the school of mind that 46xx phones don't require licenses to work with IP Office. Do they? Mine are working without, on IPO406v2 with 5.0.22.

I was of the school of thought that 46xx phones don't require licenses to work with IP Office. Do they? Mine are working without, on IPO406v2 with 5.0.22.

Hi, Have you upgraded the core software and this was a result. We use these in our offices and I believe a licence is needed.

please see below

IP Extensions Licenses
IP Office 4.1+ supports 4610, 4621, 5610 and 5621 phones running the VPNremote firmware. These work in conjunction with the Extension | VoIP | VPN Phone Allow setting. The phones are licensed against VPN IP Extensions licenses added to the IP Office configuration

· Avaya IP Endpoint Licenses
On IP500 and IP500v2 systems, Avaya 1600, 4600, 5600, 9600, IP DECT, DECT R4, T3 IP, Spectralink and VPN phones are licensed by Avaya IP Endpoint licenses. These licenses are consumed by each phone as it registers with the IP Office system. Existing VCM channel resources and VCM Channel licenses enable a number of unlicensed phone registrations.

Light travels faster then sound...which is why most people appear brilliant until you hear them.

That's why i am confused. i thought they needed them but for almoats 2 years no issues.. Then the System incompatibility message.. But after aMute Clear they are working again and not using licenses.. I guess it is PFM.

xlr8neo, the vpn phones do not need a vpn license in 6.0 because it is already using an ip endpoint license.
Everything lower needs a vpn phone license.
The phone itself does no need one.

Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum

honey, i fried the IP Office !!!

Sarcasm, it's only one of the services I offer.

tlpeter
That is what I thought but, these 3 4620 VPN phones are working now on, 5.0.18 version and are not using the 3 licenses. They ahve beeen workign for almost 2 years this way until last week then the mute clear fixed them. It is PFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back