Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4620 Phones - Static IP to DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SF0751

MIS
Apr 15, 2002
US
CM 5.1; S88000 at main site, 36 remote sites with G700 Media-Gateways, 4620 IP telephones.

All of our current IP phone sets (~450 stations) have a static IP address. However, our network team is now converting from static to DHCP most IP addresses. Is there a way to force the phones to pick up a new IP address from the DHCP server, other than going to each site and physically using the Mute R E S E T # command on each individual phone?

I tried using the reset ip-stations command, but that did not flush the existing static ip address.

Susan
Muffins are just ugly cupcakes.

How have you changed your 46xxsettings.txt file to reflect the new environment?

I have not changed the 46xxsettings.txt file at all.

Susan

DO you have much experience with your 46xxsettings.txt file? I guess a lot of times they're placed on your tftp server and forgotten unless changes are required.

I think you should try to change this setting:

################# DHCP ADDRESS SETTINGS ##################
##
## DHCPSTD controls whether the phone continues to use an
## expired IP address if the phone received no response to
## its address renewal request. 0 for yes, 1 for no.
##
SET DHCPSTD 1
##
## VLANTEST specifies the number of seconds to wait for a
## DHCPOFFER when the phone is using a non-zero VLAN ID.
## (0-999)
##
## SET VLANTEST 60
##

I'm betting yours may still be commented out and set to the default of 0.

Remove the comments, set the value to 1 save the file back to the tftp server and unregister a phone right next to you. Watch what it does and tell us if it pulls an appropriate IP address.

If it doesn't work the way you want it to, change the file back to the way you found it and report back.

I made the suggested change and re-issued the reset ip-stations command, but the station still booted up with the currently assigned static IP address - it did not seek a new address from the DHCP server.

Susan

Try it again, same change to the file. And only power down the one phone, don't reset them all. Verify when the phone boots that it's picking up the 46xx file and loading it, please. It may have to boot twice just to make that setting work properly.

Changing the above setting will not convert the phone from static to DHCP. The phone may see the paramaters but will ignore them since the set is not programmed to to action them because of the static address.

Well, I've pushed the revised 46xxsettings.txt file to the phone 5 times now, and the phone still goes back to the static IP address. I'm thinking that there is not a way to flush the current address without actually touching the phone.

Susan

If it is entered manually in the phone then you need to remove that on the phone itself.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Crud, that's what I was afraid of. Oh well. ROADTRIP!
Thanks to everyone for your information and suggestions.

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back