Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4620 ip voice qualitu degradation

Status
Not open for further replies.

slovic

Technical User
May 15, 2003
RS
Hi,

I have some voice quality issue with two users, out of 25-30 (soon it will be about 500). They say that they got a lot of complaints regarding voice quality (low volume, fading, crackling), when they were talking to external numbers over isdn pri, but they appear to hear other end ok (sistem is duplicated s8700 with 2 x g650, multi-connect, 3 x clan, 3x medpro, dhcp adressing, qos appears ok, voice vlans, latest sw and fw, no ip-hairpining). When I was doing test calls everything was fine, no problems.

All other users are satisfied with voice quality, apart of those two.

Any idea?

It's possible that you have some bad handsets or headsets. Have you tried replacing those components?

Susan
"People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of their character."
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)

Yes, I've tried that too. But nothing changed.

You should try turning hairpinning back on. Shuffle off (ip-ip direct) See how that works

In the future everything will work...

Well, hairpinning must be off, because this system is linked with Modular Messaging Server.

Are you sure it's not a "psychological" problem? We've seen this before when people complained about a new system, simply because it's a change in their environment.

Anyway, there is a handy way to find out more about the problems of those users by using the VoIP Monitoring Manager. It's a very nice application that shows detailed information about every call (using RTCP).

It doesn't come for free, but you can try the demo version for 90 days. After that, you won't ever want to miss it... :)

Try enabling Network Audio Quality Display on the 4620 sets ("SET NTWAUDIO 1" in the 46xxsettings.txt file, check the LAN Administrators guide, QoS chapter, from Avaya support site for that).

This will enable you to get jitter, packet loss & network delay statistics from the phone itself. It does not need RTCP and it will not cost you anything.

I myself believe that it is a "psychological" problem, as tx0223 said...

Petran.

Check your PRI circuits for slips. Check the switch for synchronization (status sync). It's possibel the noise is coming from the network and not the IP HardPhones.

Kevin

WE have been there and done that. Check your DS1 Boards.
if you are running them on a 464 board, they need to be DG.
we don't have problems with the 767 boards.

echo cancellation and loss groups are the key.

I'm interested in how you are going with your audio quality problem? At the start of December we had a deployment of approximately 280 4620 IP hand-sets and we have had many reports of audio problems. Hands-free is particularly bad with the other party getting serious feedback/echo.

Fortunately, (in the sense that we have a fix), Avaya and our local supplyer have confirmed that there was a production fault with a batch of phones and they will be replacing all our 4620 phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back