Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

4602 SIP Firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeduncan

IS-IT--Management
Apr 23, 2004
AU
Apparently Avaya have released a SIP load for the 4602 IP phone. I have searched Avaya's site high and low for the firmware, but cant find the thing (even though some doco says to download it from support.avaya.com).

Does anyone know where it can be found?

SIP is not supported on IPO 1.4/2.0/2.1 SIP support will come with 3.0

ipo.gif

Yeah I understand that, and I know this is a bit off topic, but it would be nice to use the SIP firmware to enable the phone as a SIP phone to use with other SIP providers.

Purely out of curiosity.

See below for my email conversations with Avaya on the availability of SIP firmware for 4602 phones. Apparently available in June, even though their website claims that it is already available. READ FROM BOTTOM UP
----------------------------------

Dear Michael,

The product experts confirmed that the firmware download is not currently available. The target date for availability currently the end of June. I apologize for the inconvenience. The link you sent us refers to info that was put up too early, but we're pretty close to GA, so not going to remove it at this point.

Thanks,
Tammy Turja
Avaya Web Feedback Desk

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Duncan [mailto:(REMOVED FROM TEKTIPS POSTING)]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 4:54 PM
To: Avaya Support
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service Request

Tammy,

Please visit the following link:

This is where it states that the firmware is available.

Your prompt action would be appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Duncan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, 20 May 2004 7:41 AM
To: Michael Duncan
Subject: RE: Contact Us: Service Request

Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting the Avaya Web Feedback Desk. I checked with a product expert, who does not think it's available yet. In order to assist you further, where on the website did it say available for download? Please let me know, so we can assist you further. Thank you again for your feedback and for being an Avaya customer

Sincerely,
Tammy Turja
Avaya Web Feedback Desk

It was submitted by
support (support@avaya.com) on Friday, May 14, 2004 at 15:52:19
------------------------------------------------------------------------
---

Onsite/Other Contact: yes

product_group: Telephones and End User Devices

Product Related to Problem: other: Where can I find the 4602 telephone SIP firmware download? Your website claims that it is available for download, but it cannot be found anywhere???

I just bought an Avaya 4602SW IP phone for its SIP capabilities. I have an Asterisk server that I want to use it with.

Anyone with similar situation?

CaNiBuS,

Welcome to my world! Exactly the situation that I am in. Have been mildly pissed off with Avaya for announcing that SIP firmware is available for the 4602SW, when in actual fact it wasnt yet.

I haven't checked lately but it should be on their website within the next few days.

DO NOT try to use an avaya phone with a H323 firmware on it with any other H323 gatekeeper, simply does not work. I am hoping they dont do the same with the SIP firmware, as i'd love to use it with Asterisk!

P.S. VanZenden, dont care about SIP in Communication Manager or IP Office at this stage, just the phone so it can be used with other SIP servers such as the free open source and really damn groovy Asterisk.

Well, support.avaya.com is back up again...but still no SIP firmware download for it. This really bites.

I cant figure out how to get it to work with Asterisk can you?

If you load the Sip firmware does that exclude it from use with IPO? i.e. one or the other but not both?

Thanks...

The IPO does not support SIP at all, Avaya are falling behind on this one.

If you change the firmware on the phone to SIP, you cannot use it with the IPO. However, you can use it Avaya Communication Manager, and other SIP servers such as the open source PBX, Asterisk.

Actually works quite well talking to Asterisk.

We have an Asterisk PBX set up with a H323 trunk to our IP Office, and everything works good. Now we can use SIP softphones with Asterisk, and make/receive calls to our IP Office extensions, and not have to pay Avaya for third party endpoint licenses or use the clunky old H323 softphones.

With V3 SIP has been implomented which is the first step for AVAYA, this is in regard to the Chat interface within Phone Manager back to the LCS server, this uses SIP.

Next will come SIP Trunks and finally SIP end points no ETA as yet but it is on the books with the product guys @ Avaya.

Looks like we have to stick with H323 for the time being.

ipo.gif
Umm anotherprivatebuild !!!

QUOTE>>"We have an Asterisk PBX set up with a H323 trunk to our IP Office, and everything works good. Now we can use SIP softphones with Asterisk, and make/receive calls to our IP Office extensions, and not have to pay Avaya for third party endpoint licenses or use the clunky old H323 softphones."

I have been trying to set this up and was wondering if had any problems with this working?

I can call one way ( from IPOffice to Asterisk) but the reverse the call dies ( but in moniter the IPOFFICE sets up the call etc.. then I get error tone)

anythoughts?
Thanks

Mike Duncan, can you please put your conf files up so that we can look at them and i can figure out what we did wrong. We even bought a third party license.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back